Hey guys. For my next game, I need advice on which tempo to play.

In my last game I was at home playing a team with inferior talent. We scored 98 points against the press and fouled out 2 of their players. So my boys can run.

This next game, I'm playing away against a team with a little superior talent and the coach is running Uptempo every game. Do I try and match his uptempo or slow it down?
4/18/2013 4:04 AM
You should have posted with your correct id, so people could have a chance to look at the team you are referencing.
4/18/2013 7:27 AM
As a general rule, you go uptempo against inferior teams, normal tempo against equal teams, and slowdown against superior teams.  There's obviously more to it, but that's a decent starting point.
4/18/2013 7:53 AM
Posted by slicknick777 on 4/18/2013 7:27:00 AM (view original):
You should have posted with your correct id, so people could have a chance to look at the team you are referencing.
sorry about that. here is the id... Webster in Smith going away against Stevens Tech. I'm still torn.... uptempo or slow down?
4/18/2013 9:54 AM
I don't know if I'd go normal or slow down, but I would definitely not go uptempo. He's got a significant advantage on you in Ath and Reb, so the more possessions in the game, the more that could manifest itself in a rebounding disparity. Combined with your overall low team defense rating, I don't see that breaking favorably for you. Plus, by slowing things down, your top three players will be able to log more minutes, and that's important as your roster falls away quickly after that.
4/18/2013 11:36 AM
Another tempo question. Playing at home.

My stats: AVG 492 ATH 35 SPD 47 REB 30 FT% .703 REB/game 29.6 PF/game 16.8
His stat: AVG 490 ATH 30 SPD 43 REB 32  FT% .663 REB/game 34    PF/game 21.9

I want to run uptempo. In his last game the opponent ran uptempo and he fouled 30 times to only 11 for the opponent. But he has the rebounding advantage... so do I risk playing uptempo anyways to draw more fouls?
4/30/2013 12:18 PM
Posted by craigcoug on 4/30/2013 12:18:00 PM (view original):

I want to run uptempo. In his last game the opponent ran uptempo and he fouled 30 times to only 11 for the opponent. But he has the rebounding advantage... so do I risk playing uptempo anyways to draw more fouls?
I would not look at those stats in deciding whether to go uptempo

I would compare my roster overall to the opponent - is my team better?  lean toward uptempo

Then, I would look specifically at my 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th players vs his.  Who is better?  Dont forget to include IQ in that comparison.  Do I have a significant edge in slots 6-9 or 6-10, consider uptempo

BUT, then I would also look at his starting 5 - does he have any one guy in there who is VERY weak.  If so, I might want to target him.  I might even go slow to keep him on the floor longer.....
4/30/2013 12:38 PM
Posted by mamxet on 4/30/2013 12:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by craigcoug on 4/30/2013 12:18:00 PM (view original):

I would not look at those stats in deciding whether to go uptempo

I would compare my roster overall to the opponent - is my team better?  lean toward uptempo

Then, I would look specifically at my 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th players vs his.  Who is better?  Dont forget to include IQ in that comparison.  Do I have a significant edge in slots 6-9 or 6-10, consider uptempo

BUT, then I would also look at his starting 5 - does he have any one guy in there who is VERY weak.  If so, I might want to target him.  I might even go slow to keep him on the floor longer.....
i agree with a lot of this. however, at the end, you have to strongly lean uptempo, to play it, IMO - if you use that system. the reason is because uptempo will deteriorate the quality of your team's play, through lower fatigue, without a similar impact on the opponent. now, if you are close in talent, for that reason, i very rarely would go uptempo. but if you are far apart in talent, you also have to consider, do you have the depth and are you enough better, that its worth it to play more possessions with less an advantage, as opposed to the normal amount of possessions with the normal advantage?

i think depth is a huge part, and fouls are a major part of that. if another team presses, uptempo is more likely to manifest problems for them in terms of depth, because they foul a lot. for the same reason, i very rarely play uptempo running press myself (ok, never - well, maybe if playing another press team. but you still are more fouls and more fatigue on your end, to just more fouls on their end, which is still a hard tradeoff to make worth it, IMO).
4/30/2013 4:26 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.