Pitching Issue (ticket submitted) Topic

I recently lost a game in which I had a 6-0 lead going into the 9th, with all 7 of the opposition runs coming in the ninth inning.

I had TWO Long A's, a Setup A and a Setup B available. My Long B was brought in to pitch the 9th with my team up 6-0. I don't necessarily mind that decision as it was essentially mop-up duty at that point, but (with a pull-setting of 3), he was then left in to give up 7 runs - against 1 out - before being pulled. And none of the runs scored after he left - all 7 were in before he was finally pulled. That should NEVER happen...not even with a pull setting of 1, much less 3. And it also shouldn't happen when there are other (better) pitchers available. No manager would ever leave a mopup guy in to give up 7 runs in one inning and blow the game.

I realize this is a rant on my part, but I also think I have a serious beef. If my closer or a setup guy gets rocked, so be it, but there is no way a mopup guy should be left in to give up 7 runs and lose the game.

4/19/2013 11:28 PM
Here's the boxscore for reference.

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=54097312&pbp=0

Won's result sequence:

double-walk-homer-single-single-single-single-groundout-double. He should have been pulled after the 3-run homer (or any of the 6 succeeding hitters).
4/19/2013 11:31 PM

He wouldn't have been pulled immediately after the three run homer.   You have to warm up a relief pitcher(in the real world).  However, the pitching coach would have strolled out to the mound and talked to him while two RP feverishly got ready.  But he wouldn't have pitched to McEnroe after giving up two more singles.

4/20/2013 6:56 AM

"Leemee in coach!"

4/20/2013 2:23 PM
An update:

The initial response from CS was a smug moron who cited my "poor bullpen management" because none of my short relievers were eligible to go in. I thought they were, but still, that doesn't really address the issue since I had other guys available. Whoever it was, he was a dick.

I then got a response from tzentmeyer saying that a) my mopup guy probably shouldn't have been pinch-hit for with a 6 run lead, and b) one of my 2 available Long A's should have been brought in when the first baserunner reached following the 3-run HR. He said he'll look at the logic.
5/6/2013 1:57 PM
Pitching Issue (ticket submitted) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.