4/30/2013 3:58 PM
I agree with katz. If the offense is set to 100% anything that should be the only play option, If it is covered by the defense correctly calling the play, the results should be a negative conclusion for the offense. I also agree that there has to be diminishing returns on the same play being called repeatedly. Shotgun offenses for both pass and run is way out of whack.
4/30/2013 7:05 PM
Still working on this.  Found some bugs that may explain the lack of coverage deep.  I'm also working through the timing of the plays so we should get more reasonable time ticked off the clock for long plays.  Balancing the different throws to different locations with QB pressure (including sacks, throw aways, scrambles), cover results, pass defense results (including interceptions) and the occasional dropped pass takes a bit of time, but I think I am getting it closer to what we have discussed.  With all of those factors and possible results, I'm sure we will still need some tweaking.  I am seeing some better results in who is covering the passing target and the results of those match ups, which then go in to how well the QB can throw to that target.

I might has to adjust some results based on out of position players or very low rated QBs, so that's something we need to look at once we get the normal cases looking good.

5/1/2013 8:50 AM
I don't at all agree that there should be diminishing returns on the same play being called repeatedly, at least not the same formation. In RL there are teams that line up in the shotgun every play of every game and dare you to stop them. If a team is throwing deep every play, that's a little different, and maybe there should should be a small penalty there, but NEVER for lining up in the same formation. That's just football!
5/2/2013 9:35 AM
i agree that all SG can be effective when you are able to really spread the ball around, you can vary the playcalling quite a bit from a. single formation
but if you lined up 50 times in SG and threw it 50 times to WR1 deep then I think by time #51 the D would start to catch on.
5/2/2013 5:49 PM
I agree govolswoo. And the other problem is you have only halftime to make adjustments. In football adjustments are made on every series. If you passed deep or ran on me every play, I would change my defense to stop you. In this game you do not have that ability. You can set game plans but cannot stop the offense for half a game if you planned wrong. To me this is a flaw. Under no circumstances can any team continue with the same play and be successful for the whole game unless their is a major talent gap. I guarantee that if you used the same play every time and the talent was close I would shut down that offense. That is why something in the engine needs to slow down an offense that uses the same play [not formation] on every down
5/6/2013 3:42 PM
I've just put out an update that addresses passing and coverage.  Please take a look at it. Thanks.
of 5

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.