Recruiting up a Level??? Topic

Hey, I'm a newb at this game. I've really enjoyed it, and I want to make sure I can have as much success as possible. I am currently playing in two different worlds and am quite pleased with the relative success of both programs. However, I have a frustrating challenge I have to overcome. For both teams (Coast Guard and Trinity) I focused on recruiting players close to my location who weren't being targeted by any other programs. I thought it was going quite well, I saved a lot of money and still found some pretty decent players. Going in to the last day at Trinity (this happened at both schools but I'll use Trinity as the example) I had signed 13 players and had 7 scholarships left. The seven players I wanted had all been offered scholarships and were green. I was the only school who had an interest in them. I assumed that they would all sign with me at the last moment, or worst case scenario, I would go into the season without those scholarships filled and have them left over for the next year. Well, I guess you all know what happened. My "assistant coach" went out and signed some of the crappiest players I could imagine. Seriously, a cornerback with 23 speed??? The worst part was, I had $45,000 saved and it was all gone! I was so mad, I probably wouldn't have played on past this season if both teams hadn't overachieved. 

So that was the setup (and the venting/therapy), here's the question. I need to get some better players, especially at the QB at Trinity. I only have two QBs on the roster and I could probably find a lineman on my roster more game ready at QB. It would really have helped to have some of that money I saved, but I guess that's just the way it goes. What I want to know, is: is it at all possible for a DIII program to sign a player who's projected DII if no other schools go after him? Do all DII players get DII offers? Do I need to just stick with DIII? Quarterback is the biggest hole in my roster at Trinity, and I need to get a freshman who will start. If I have to go DIII I will, but I'm just wondering if a DII guy will go DIII if I recruit him heavily and no DIIs give him a scholarship. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. 
4/24/2013 6:25 PM (edited)
So just so you know ALL recruits MUST have an in person visit in order to sign with you no matter if they're green with a scholarship offer you have to have at least a scouting trip. So that's why your guys didn't sign is my assumption now if you did that and they didn't sign I'd send in a ticket but I'd bet you didn't have a face to face visit with them.
4/24/2013 7:14 PM
That's what it was. Thanks. I though I was going to get out of there golden just spending $130 per player. That makes sense, wish I would have known sooner, but what can you do. Any advice on recruiting DII guys? 
4/24/2013 7:52 PM
And you only get to keep 25% of your bank. Your AC will go to Vegas and sign recruits off the BR wall and blow the rest on babes.
4/24/2013 8:52 PM
Yeah, hahaha, that's exactly what I said when I saw all the money was gone. But still, 25% of what I had left would have been over $10,000 which would have really helped next year. Any advice on recruiting up a level? 
4/24/2013 9:13 PM
Posted by tlandonevans on 4/24/2013 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, hahaha, that's exactly what I said when I saw all the money was gone. But still, 25% of what I had left would have been over $10,000 which would have really helped next year. Any advice on recruiting up a level? 
Recruiting up a level? You mean try to sign DII guys to your DIII team? It will never happen. You can only sign guys you find in your DIII search.
4/24/2013 10:55 PM
Their mom will tell you to quit bothering them.
4/25/2013 12:17 AM
Recruiting up a Level??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.