Windows 8 Topic

Stinks.

On a laptop, stinks on ice.

On a laptop with a touchy mousepad, stinks to the heavens.
4/25/2013 3:18 PM
It's a bad operating system, no doubt about it...

I just had this discussion last night.  It's built to be particularly friendly with tablets and other touch interfaces, but maintained the desktop interface as an alternative to appeal to traditional Windows users.  As long as the desktop exists, people writing software are still going to write for the interface.  It's easier, and the mechanisms to launch and operate your software out of the desktop interface already exist.  Hell, Microsoft is still writing its own software for the desktop interface - Office isn't even fully compatible with the touch interface.  As long as they leave that easier, use-the-desktop out, the touch interface is never going to work as they wanted it to, and the OS is always going to be unnecessarily bulky and less user-friendly than Windows 7.

On the other hand, in most performance metrics it is at least a little bit faster...

4/25/2013 3:29 PM
I'm glad it's a little faster, thanks, because I'm about ready to see how fast it flies through one window or another.

I just try to move the pointer via the mousepad and the paddie-pie garbage shows up -- or it performs the "zoom" function in my window!  I'm going to try to see if mousepad controls will help. If not, then... well I'm keeping my receipt and box....
4/25/2013 3:44 PM (edited)
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/25/2013 3:29:00 PM (view original):
It's a bad operating system, no doubt about it...

I just had this discussion last night.  It's built to be particularly friendly with tablets and other touch interfaces, but maintained the desktop interface as an alternative to appeal to traditional Windows users.  As long as the desktop exists, people writing software are still going to write for the interface.  It's easier, and the mechanisms to launch and operate your software out of the desktop interface already exist.  Hell, Microsoft is still writing its own software for the desktop interface - Office isn't even fully compatible with the touch interface.  As long as they leave that easier, use-the-desktop out, the touch interface is never going to work as they wanted it to, and the OS is always going to be unnecessarily bulky and less user-friendly than Windows 7.

On the other hand, in most performance metrics it is at least a little bit faster...

Writing WinRT apps is a nightmare right now.  We just finished development on an in-house app and ran into bugs left and right... and since there isn't a big knowledge base right now, we were stuck troubleshooting everything with trial and error for the most part.  It sucked.  We're halting all WinRT development until they get everything straightened out, just sticking with desktop apps for the time being and making them "behave" like WinRT apps as much as possible.
4/25/2013 3:59 PM
I use it on a desktop. It is much faster uploading than Windows 7.  I don't mind it because I stay away from a lot of the Metro crap.  Office 2013 introduces a bunch of nice things, but it really messes up other stuff that used to work well.

Per usual, the odd release (Windows 9) will most likely be a lot better. 

4/25/2013 4:07 PM (edited)
I've heard that as well ryrun.
4/25/2013 4:04 PM
Bought a new PC a couple of months ago that came with Windows 8.

I spend all my time in the old Desktop interface.  Hate the tiles.  And I'm usually open to embracing new changes to GUI interfaces.  But I do so hate the tiles.
4/25/2013 4:36 PM
It's pretty easy to make your Windows 8 PC act like a Windows 7 PC.  If you are part of the 99+% of people who hate the new bimodal interface, just google ways to essentially make it go away...  Or if you don't have the time or computer literacy to do that, you can actually buy a package for like $5 that will do it for you.
4/25/2013 6:13 PM
Wasnt Windows 8 designed to make coputers work like Cell Phones?
4/25/2013 6:43 PM
WINDOWS 7 SUCKS. VISTA SUCKED. XP WAS DECENT
4/26/2013 8:50 AM
Windows 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.