the real scandal in HD - firings Topic

This game could be a bunch better if the firing logic was better tuned.  It currently allows a coach to hang around at elite and near-elite schools with a mediocre record.

I've done that and felt guilty

Should a coach feel an obligation to fire himself after a long period of performance that would not be satisfactory in the real world?

4/26/2013 8:22 AM
is this in response to my leaving state? ;)
4/26/2013 8:31 AM
I've wondered this as well.  Was in the Pac10 with a coach who was at Oregon State for 24 seasons and only had 2 PI first round appearances and 1 PI second round appearance.
4/26/2013 8:43 AM
no, leaving? State?  never give up, never surrender!
4/26/2013 8:43 AM
i'm bored. 40 seasons is a long time, and i'm not getting any closer to (or further from) any accomplishments.      
4/26/2013 9:37 AM
Firings definitely need to be ramped up. Not to the point where if you don't make the Elite Eight every 4-5 seasons at an A+ school you're fired or anything drastic like that. I understand that WIS has a fine line to tread between realism and keeping customers happy. But when a coach can go 14 consecutive seasons at an elite A+ baseline school without even making it to the NT a single time and 22 consecutive seasons without winning a single game in the NT, and still keep his job (this is an actual example in HD), then the firing logic is clearly too lenient.

4/26/2013 12:24 PM
Firings need to be ramped up, maybe along with softening job qualification rights slightly. that way if you get fired, redemption is more realistic.
4/26/2013 12:31 PM
agreed! Lets talk about things that actually need to be fixed....this is definitely one of them. 

I'm surprised by how little fun D1 really is. 

1. It's unrealistic for mid-majors to be that much inferior to the major programs (that doesn't mirror RL)
2. Coaches just about never get fired, so there's rarely any good D1 big-6 openings. 

I know that CS doesn't want many firings due to coach retainment - but if the fired coaches still had realistic chances at mid-level D1 programs, and mid-level D1 programs wouldn't be so miserable to coach, that would make things  more reasonable. 
4/26/2013 12:55 PM
I think not only firings, but prestige (which I think has something to do with firings) needs to be adjusted.  Being able to keep a B prestige by doing nothing but getting to the PI every once in a while or a 1 and done in the NT every 5 or 6 seasons should not warrant a B prestige. 
4/26/2013 2:36 PM
Prestige was just recently adjusted wasn't it? The only schools that could do what you are describing would have to be  Big 6 schools so I know some adjustment was made for that recently. Totally agree that firings should be increased though so a coach with this lack of success would get fired.
4/26/2013 3:58 PM
Yeah, that's Big 6...but that's also the main complaint about firings (Big 6).  I actually think (no evidence to prove it) that it'd be easier to get fired at a small conference since you're not getting the auto bump of higher prestige to save you.  Maybe I'm full of crap. 
4/26/2013 5:47 PM
This is a good thread. WIS's skittishness about offending long-time players (reluctance to fire being one example) will be the death of HD.
4/27/2013 1:33 PM
It is almost impossible to get fired anywhere.  This is especially true at Div-1.

I agree that firings should happen more frequently.

But, I think they happen to frequently in GridIron Dynasty.

Something in between what is currently in HD and what is currently in GD would be nice.

4/28/2013 12:11 PM
I think if Seble did a poll (as he did with the 2 teams in 1 world poll), he would find an overwhelming majority favor making firings more frequent.  Heck, I think most of the coaches that end up getting fired would agree with this.  As long as he made some efforts to keep them happy, say 1 season credit or something, it wouldn't really ruffle any feathers I think.  In one world, a big 6 coach has been at a school 22 seasons and never made the NT.  He has 5 PIT appearances, only past the 1st rd once.  I think you run a bigger risk alienating people for whom that might be a destination job (only reason I even noticed it) than you do getting that coach upset if he got fired.

Of course, Duke should have a tougher standard than Fresno state, but I doubt it would be too hard to work baseline prestige into the code to adjust firings.
4/28/2013 12:28 PM
I suspect you're right. But if there's a change in firing logic, it should definitely be accompanied by a change in hiring logic as well. Jobs shouldn't sit open because no one is qualified for them (except in really extreme cases)
4/28/2013 12:33 PM
the real scandal in HD - firings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.