Def Position w/ Most Action? Topic

This is a tangent off of that rightfielder thread...

What def. position sees the most action on a standard basis and can benefit most from a guy with great range/glove or arm? 
What def. position requires a stud, and what pos. can you get away with having a bum? 

4/27/2013 12:31 AM
In order of most plays on average per game (not counting 1B or C)I believe it's SS, 2B, 3B, CF, LF, RF...

If you're going to try to hide a weak defensive player, usually you'd want to do it in LF, RF, or 1B... Though it depends on the individual player too of course...

I never skimp at SS... and rarely try to at 2B or CF... That's just me though. I'm sure other people have slightly different takes.
4/27/2013 12:40 AM
By far, the shortstop gets the most action. And as a rule, you want to be strong up the midde..i.e. SS-2B-CF. Then I'd say left field is the next most important. Third base...you want to have a fairly respectable glove and range, but there you do need a good arm with decent accuracy. And at first base, don't scrimp. I want my first basemen at least into the upper 40's in all defensive ratings. Right field gets the least action, and the most forgiving, defensively. Then there's catcher....an entirely different discussion all together.
4/27/2013 12:46 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Robin Petersen is changing my thoughts on 2B.   I used to insist on 75 glove.   He's doing good enough with 70.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Rivera with a 66 glove has not been horrible.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rob Prince no longer has the arm for LF but he's racking up plus play at 1B.
4/27/2013 7:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/27/2013 7:40:00 AM (view original):
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Robin Petersen is changing my thoughts on 2B.   I used to insist on 75 glove.   He's doing good enough with 70.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Rivera with a 66 glove has not been horrible.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rob Prince no longer has the arm for LF but he's racking up plus play at 1B.
I'm surprised by you saying "he no longer has the arm for left field".  If they can play first base (40+ across the board), I consider them a left fielder.   Philip Fox has done well enough in left.

How bad could the 45 arm be?
4/30/2013 4:06 PM
LF is the easiest position, IMO, to get plus plays.    Getting negatives in LF is unacceptable to me. 
4/30/2013 4:19 PM
I see what you're saying..but I'd rather have that guy get zero plus plays and field .986 in LF.  Then find another 800+ OPS guy get a handful of + at 1B.  Look at Prince.  He split season 25 between 1B and LF.  16+ at 1B and 0 in LF.  Just personal preference, though.       
4/30/2013 4:38 PM
I was 24th in runs scored, 17th in ERA.    I had 105+ plays(league leader) and 15- plays(league leader).    I was eliminated from the playoffs at game 160 with what was a horribly put-together team.   

Sometimes, you have to work with the mess you made in the pre-season.    Getting the extra D was the only thing that kept me afloat.
4/30/2013 4:49 PM
Well played.
4/30/2013 4:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/30/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
I was 24th in runs scored, 17th in ERA.    I had 105+ plays(league leader) and 15- plays(league leader).    I was eliminated from the playoffs at game 160 with what was a horribly put-together team.   

Sometimes, you have to work with the mess you made in the pre-season.    Getting the extra D was the only thing that kept me afloat.
I've been following this same mentality while rebuilding my Satchel Paige team, With the added factor of having Memphis, aka "Petco of the South," as my home park, I have had around the #30 ranked offense with a group of guys that can play defense and steal bases and have been able to stay competitive. With bargain pitchers, I have been able to put up Top 5 ERAs, with some guys surprisingly doing better on the road.

I never cut corners on defense at SS and love to have an all 90s guy no matter how weak he hits.
For CF, Range is the key number as the 90+ guys are great with a glove at least 75.
At 2B, I have seen some bad guys seemingly field the position adequately, but with all the chances they get, I try to at least meet the recs.
I typically use the guys who when drafted were supposedly a SS as my 3B.
For 1B, I agree with the previous poster regarding all high 40s or more. 1B is involved in too much of the defense to put someone below recs.
Failed CFs or 2B are usually playing LF for me.
RF is the position I have been willing to sacrifice if I don't have enough offense.
4/30/2013 6:59 PM
I happened upon it as a viable strategy my first season in Hamilton.  The previous owner left me no talent but a 10m payroll.   I had tons of money to invest in FA but, sadly, all the good pitchers/hitters were locked up.  Worst FA class I'd seen at that point.  Except very few cared about fielding.   I snatched up the good fielders from the WW and at the end of FA.    The team was competitive.    So, when I flub building a team or I'm ravaged by injuries, I go with strong fielding. 
4/30/2013 7:14 PM
Mike says the easiest position to get + plays is LF, but frakum seems to like sticking the better fielder at 1B because he has the most impact.
This is the sort of thing I'm interested in... is there any sort of consensus about this? 
Would it, say, be beneficial to have a stellar LF with 3B-like defensive numbers even if your 3B ends up beings slightly below average? 
5/2/2013 4:33 PM

High range in LF.    Essentially a CF with a weaker glove. 

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jonathan Andrews won a MVP in LF for me.

5/2/2013 7:15 PM
Posted by elan_m_m on 5/2/2013 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Mike says the easiest position to get + plays is LF, but frakum seems to like sticking the better fielder at 1B because he has the most impact.
This is the sort of thing I'm interested in... is there any sort of consensus about this? 
Would it, say, be beneficial to have a stellar LF with 3B-like defensive numbers even if your 3B ends up beings slightly below average? 
Some of it might have to do with the quality of competition.  Frankum is 93-34 in a league, which speaks volumes about the level of competition.  If you stick a fading 2B/CF in LF, you'll likely have a gold-glover with a bunch of + plays.  If you stick him at 1B, you probably won't see much of an increase over a 40-40-40-40 fielder. 

If you're gonna sacrifice fielding anywhere, you sacrifice RF since that's where the fewest balls are hit, and it will hurt you the least.  Yeah, this might not exactly mirror real life, but that's the hand we're dealt here...

If you're the NY Yankees, you stick your worst fielder at SS, and make him the captain.  [Sorry, couldn't resist]
5/2/2013 7:39 PM
Not much of an increase over 40-40-40-40?  I'd have to disagree.  This is my 1B:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rich Wolf

A former CF who is likely to win his third straight GG at the end of his career.  The most plus plays for any position in the entire league, by a good margin.  Too bad his bat is going.

5/2/2013 8:33 PM (edited)
Def Position w/ Most Action? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.