A game you thought you had memorized Topic

I stumbled on this while looking for something else: the complete game 6 of the 1986 World Series. 

I decided to watch it while eating lunch and was struck by how little I remembered - the metaphysical events in the bottom of the 10th seem to have driven out much of the rest. 

It was a great, great game already by the 8th. Ray Knight's error. Dwight Evans' error. The baserunning of Daryl Strawberry and of Jim Rice (the first time good, the second not so). 

Marty Barrett - probably the best player in the Series - was hitting .458 in the Series by the end of 9 innings of game 6 and was hitting - .800 with runners on base - yes .800 (!) and that was BEFORE he drove Boggs in with his hit in the tenth for what at the time seemed to be the insurance run. 

Mookie Wilson who did not get MVP had a key hit before the 10th. Vin Scully observant as always asking why the Mets had not bunted down to first given how Buckner ran - and then the Mets bunting - down the third base line as they tried to tie it in the late innings. 

And I had utterly forgotten that Dave Henderson, who had already had one miracle homer in game 5 of the LCS now homered to seemingly win it for Boston. 

Clements threw 120 + pitches and looked like being Clements he might be good for one more inning. Howard Johnson's at bat late in the game - should he have bunted ? 

etc. etc. 

There is a glitch of some sort in the recording at the top of the 9th, there is nothing there and I had to "fast forward" using the ribbon below the video to get to the bottom of the 9th, but the rest is there. And if you root for Boston, just stop before watching the end. The game was a great one, better than I recalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jV_kNs2p0

4/27/2013 11:32 AM
And as a gesture of good will to my friends from Boston, here is that other, great Game 6: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzL34qH7uo
4/27/2013 12:14 PM
A game you thought you had memorized Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.