NCAA Hockey (Theme League Dynasty) Topic

I'm not sure if anyone has done this, but I really think this idea would make for a cool league.

Concept: Recreate college hockey by using minor leaguers in a dynasty league and assigning them grade levels (sophomore, senior, etc) to determine retirement

If other people are interested in the concept but want to add to the rules, feel free to comment with suggestions. This will be a dynasty league, but no commitment is required really. Stay for a season or 15. Whatever works.

The Basics:
      Each team will choose filler players, which, (similar to the Below Average Minor Leaguers dynasty for those who've participated in that) will be replaced by minor leaguers at the season's start (each team randomly getting assigned minor leaguers). Each team will have 3 Above Average players, 10 average players, and 10 below average players to fill their roster.
     After this, owners will look at the ratings of each of the players they have, and develop each players overall average. This will be used to determine their initial grade level. For toughness, rather than factoring in toughness as a verbatim positive trait, the owner will subtract the skater's toughness rating from 100, then use that number in calculating the player's average (since toughness usually only just means penalty minutes).
     For each team, the top 6 skaters will be deemed "seniors", eligable for play only for the upcoming season before forced retirement. The next 8 players will be "juniors", which can play in the first and second season before retiring. After that, the next 5 players would be "sophomores", and finally, the 4 remaining, worst skaters, would be deemed freshmen.
     If there is a lack of owner involvement, I may help in determining player ages based on skill, etc. But it isnt too much to ask for owners to simply average out 23 numbers at the least. I can organize them into their respective classes after that.

For league rules, playoff intensity I would think should be turned off. Max 4 players out at a time, and Minor Leaguers will be on (as fillers), but will be set to "below average"

The Draft:
     At the end of each season, there will be a draft for incoming players. The class will always consist of 5 above average players, with the rest being average.

Any player drafted in the first round will be considered a freshman

Every other player drafted in the draft joins the team as a sophomore

Teams without enough players (due to retirement, etc) will be supplemented with random, below average players, that will be counted as freshman
     Teams may cut players in addition to those they retire, but teams may have no more than 10 freshmen on their roster at a time (they will be forced to upgrade some of their rookies to being sophomores)
     Although trades are allowed, there should be no trading of draft picks.

Teams and Players:

Team names should be after a college. I, for example, will take the Denver Pioneers. The college does not actually have to have a hockey team, however, and it must meerly be a college that isnt, for example, the women's agricultural community college of northwestern texas. Still, however, teams can be somewhat silly in names. For example, a college that is both real and not unelidgable to compete in men's ice hockey could still be picked, even if it is Horace Mann's School for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired. The divisions will be based on geography. To help the league take off, I will take two teams for the first season (taking Horace Mann's as well).
     Owners are encouraged, but not required, to rename their players. This is just so that Ulfred Stormgrodson of NYU isnt confused with Umlut Kjfharld of the same team when calculating player age for retirement. Players can be renamed to anything. Owners should post their rosters, and player's ages when given.

All this being said, if this idea takes off, this should be league driven. Ideas are welcome to improve this concept. Feel free to ask questions, add comments, or ridicule me below. Hopefully enough of this was clear to generate interest.

Signup below with your school (and school team name, if applicable to hockey/any sport. Like how the University of Denver are the DU Pioneers)

Signup List:
1. Yodelingdog - DU Pioneers
2. Yodelingdog- Horace Mann's School for the Deaf

I will be creating divisions as teams are added to save time.
Western Conference
Division 1:
1. University of Denver - Yodelingdog
Division 2:
Division 3:

Eastern Conference:
Division 1:
1. Horace Mann's School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing- Yodelingdog
Division 2:
Division 3:

4/28/2013 7:30 PM (edited)
NCAA Hockey (Theme League Dynasty) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.