Fastbreak & Tempo Topic

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could share some insight on how tempo should work with the fastbreak offense.  I decided to try and run fastbreak with a low prestige team in DI.  Should I roll with a higher tempo even though that may lead to more possessions and the better team beat me more often, since its fastbreak? Is slow down tempo affective with a fastbreak offense to keep possessions down?

Let me know your thoughts.  Its a huge rebuilding year for me (8 Scholarships Open) so I may be safe to change offenses if need be. 

Thanks!
4/29/2013 2:40 PM
You may want to change offenses.  You cannot run slowdown with fastbreak --- so that's out.  I've also found that fastbreak is most effective when you can put other teams at Athleticism & Speed disadvantages -- that will not be happening at a low DI school (at least not when you play Big 6 conference schools in the tourneys).  I'll let someone else answer the uptempo versus normal tempo end of this question.
4/29/2013 2:48 PM
You need to change your offense.  You should definitely take the FB for a test drive at D3 before trying it at D1, esp. low-end D1, for the first time.
4/29/2013 4:06 PM
Posted by rogelio on 4/29/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
You may want to change offenses.  You cannot run slowdown with fastbreak --- so that's out.  I've also found that fastbreak is most effective when you can put other teams at Athleticism & Speed disadvantages -- that will not be happening at a low DI school (at least not when you play Big 6 conference schools in the tourneys).  I'll let someone else answer the uptempo versus normal tempo end of this question.
CoachUk is proof you can run the slowdown with fastbreak

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=682326&wid=5   his team last season was #12 and made sweet 16 running that offense

4/29/2013 4:25 PM
am i missing something?  looks like he's running Motion
4/29/2013 5:03 PM
Posted by zbolton1 on 4/29/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=682326&wid=5   his team last season was #12 and made sweet 16 running that offense

you've confused slowdown Press - which can be very effective - with slowdown Fastbreak - which, on top of being oxymoronic, is also non-existent.
4/29/2013 5:28 PM
Posted by rogelio on 4/29/2013 5:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zbolton1 on 4/29/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):

you've confused slowdown Press - which can be very effective - with slowdown Fastbreak - which, on top of being oxymoronic, is also non-existent.
+1

He's running a Motion offense, not FB.  Not really sure where you got FB from.  Fastbreak is either run at normal or uptempo, slowdown isn't (supposed to be) an option.
4/29/2013 5:49 PM
Posted by mrdanielx on 4/29/2013 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could share some insight on how tempo should work with the fastbreak offense.  I decided to try and run fastbreak with a low prestige team in DI.  Should I roll with a higher tempo even though that may lead to more possessions and the better team beat me more often, since its fastbreak? Is slow down tempo affective with a fastbreak offense to keep possessions down?

Let me know your thoughts.  Its a huge rebuilding year for me (8 Scholarships Open) so I may be safe to change offenses if need be. 

Thanks!
Just like other offenses, run uptempo when you have an advantage and slowdown (in the FB's case, this is normal) when you're equal or worse.  Going up tempo doesn't really have any affect on the opposing team in terms of stamina.  Just remember to recruit for Ath and Def and you'll do fine.  

Edit: Sorry, I always think fb/fcp when I think fb.  But the defense does still apply...much easier to get fb points if you get a stop on the defensive end.
4/29/2013 5:55 PM
brain dead guys -- lol sorry
4/30/2013 9:01 AM
Fastbreak & Tempo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.