Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

Assist are going to be critical, but I've built many 30ast/g teams that get ast by committee. So load up on those 4-6 ast/g players. Without the assist your FG% will suffer also. Here's a phenom I've seen, you draft a team with 42 boards a game and average 50 boards a game...why. Because a basketball game is going to happen regardless of what you drafted. The number of possessions are dictated by tempo not players, 180-200 shots on net total per game at uptempo. Rebounds are a function of shots on net, but ast are the wild card. In this type of league with this limited player pool, you have consider advance stat's to draft off.
5/3/2013 10:39 PM
@ uptempo there's 100-110 rebounds on average, if you have the potential to take 50% wrt your opponent you'll average 50-55 rbs/g. Even if your numbers say you only drafted 42 rbs/g. The game is going to happen.
5/3/2013 10:52 PM
In a draft like this you have to have a team design that does things by committee. There just not enough players like stockton (14apg) but 3 x 5 ast works just fine and is harder to shut down.
5/3/2013 11:01 PM
I've noticed in the Era Draft format, that any player that was a "star" IRL is a "star" again, regardless of how he plays in WIS open format. So, when you have 4-5 players that can do the job, take the one that used to be in the highlights alot. In the Era Draft format Don Ohl is a "star"!!!
5/4/2013 3:43 PM
dh555, we have a difference of opinion, I think Magic is the 2nd best SG in the draft. For my 1st pick Magic was the player listed right below Stockton. The difference had to do with def rating.
5/4/2013 4:08 PM
Look at it this way, for PG I'm looking for ast% & Def. Magic - 377+69=446, Stockton - 431+80=511 So, I took Stockton.
If I want the BPA, I use salery because it's the indicator for the overall pakage. Then I would have taken Magic (11th vs 15th) and you would have been robbed. lol
Either way 7th taking 11th or 15th is an upgrade for the player wrt draft position.
5/4/2013 4:38 PM (edited)
I believe that each decade (X0-X9) forms a unique epoch in NBA history. Distinquished by distinctive traits, like Tempo, FG%, 3PTA, Defense & style. To me the 80's is the FG% epoch. I was thinking about running the DDL on a 10 season cycle using both X0-X9 & X5-X4 decades. Now I think the split decade era's are a blend of two different epochs therefore different than the x0-x9 epochs. The X5-X4 decades are a blend of two distinct eras creating a hybred player pool. I'm thinking they would be better in a new league called the Split Decade Draft League (SDDL).  The exact same rules using X5-X4 decades. I'll stagger the two draft starting one at the AS break of the other. They will both have a different flavor. This way each league will cycle on a 1 year basis. Comments...
5/4/2013 4:56 PM
Shame on me for thinking pippen would be there at 48....
5/4/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by natenoy on 5/3/2013 10:20:00 PM (view original):
Didn't say that I don't like the Price pick dh, because I do. I've seen teams in OL's win without three's and I'm likely 70/30 heading that way myself right now. At this point I figure my only way to get threes is by considering Rodman a PF. I KNOW I need ast% from pg, and there are plenty of very low usage guys with decent D at that position that offer that (and yea Price is a goldmine there because he gives you both ast% and threes). 

I figure the 67% Gilmore is like a really poor man's 66-67 Wilt with less rebounding (but not horrible for the 1980's only) a fraction of the assists and 3/4 of the minutes. Right now in an OL I have the 66-67 Wilt shooting over 71% and averaging close to 29ppg. Gilmore has the same 18.5 usage as that Wilt. With that team I have SG as my only usage position and Wilt is almost always the 2nd or 3rd highest usage guy on the floor for me(along with two guys that are sub-17.5), his FGA/48 is up over 25% from RL after 22 games. Trying to find a way to do the same with Gilmore here, but it will likely land me near the bottom in threes. With enough ast% I know I can hit 122-128 possessions and 92-96 FGA's a game, if I can keep Gilmore as my 2nd or 3rd option then I will hopefully be getting 200-300 extra shots from him, shots that have a 67% chance of going in, which IMO will net me more than a few extra W's.
oh i didnt think that nate...was just explaining why i went so far down the salary ladder

yea...i was really hoping youd let gilmore fall to me...hes insanely good in this league

5/4/2013 7:00 PM
smokey...like i said...i didnt think stockton was a bad pick....makes sense if you wanted him over magic....both guys are awesome

but you said stockton was by far the best pg....thats what i was calling you out on cause its just not true at all....magic should def be used as a pg

5/4/2013 7:05 PM
Was surprised Pippen was still there, too. He is not quite the defensive presence he would become. Marques 80s a notch or so behind Pippen defensively but offers some more offensive options depending on how the draft goes.   
5/4/2013 7:32 PM
Dh, I'm very happy that you and 98 are in the other conference, yea there are a lot of good owners, but the two of you are always near the top of the draft leagues I've been in.
5/4/2013 8:08 PM
Pippen went way late...
5/4/2013 8:24 PM

Notice - Do you guy's want a 72 hour trade period at the end of the draft, before we finalize our roster???

5/4/2013 8:27 PM
I'd be for it, why not.
5/4/2013 9:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...12 Next ▸
Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.