5/5/2013 10:46 PM
I just picked up a beta team and I am having a problem understanding how to set the depth charts on defense. I am running the 4-3, 5-2, and Nickel. In the 4-3 and 5-2 I have my DBs set up in the positions I want them at, but when the set changes to Nick a lot changes.

In the Nick D my 2 starting Corners remain in the place I set them (CB 1 and CB 2), but all of the sudden my SS switches to CB 3, my FS switches to SS, and my third string safety becomes the FS. Why is this...can any one help me understand this?

I want my two starting CBs to remain the same (which they do), and I want my third string CB to become the #3 corner in the nickel. I do not want my FS and SS to change positons. I am definitely missing something here, and I have yet to figure it out?

Same thing happens with my LBs. In the in the 4-3 they are set where I want them. In the Nick and 5-2 my OLB (LB 1) remains in his starting position, but then my ILB (LB 2) becomes the OLB , and my second OLB (LB 3) is not even in the set. I am feeling really stupid at this point, and it is probably something really simple, but I am at a loss to figure it out so far....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!
5/6/2013 1:27 AM
The formation charts and depth charts work together. You need to look at the positions on the chart. If you designate DB, CB, SS, DB1, DB2 as players in the formation chart then that is how they will need to be set up in hte depth chart. See how they set up for the 4-3 and 5-2 (don't worry about CB, SS etc). You designate which position you are playing in the formation chart (you can set DB1 to always be your CB for example). Same thing goes for LB, DL, OL, RB, etc.Try that and then ask again if you have questions.
5/6/2013 2:21 PM
Thanks again Katz!
5/6/2013 3:39 PM
We might need to spell out more clearly that when you switch to use the advanced depth charts (position roles) your depth charts are still set to your default position depth charts, so you need to set those up when you make the switch.

Do you guys think we should have FS and SS split out as separate roles for S?  Would you want any splits for CB?

5/6/2013 3:41 PM
Actually another question is what do you think of the splits for LB and DL?  Should they be more like the splits for offensive positions which are set more by an attribute group versus a sub-position?  For instance, instead of ILB and OLB, would you rather see something like LB-Strong, LB-Cover, etc?
5/6/2013 11:09 PM
All I know is I was completely lost on all the depth charts and formations until I switched to advanced in the position roles. Then everything makes sense.
5/7/2013 12:42 AM
Posted by norbert on 5/6/2013 3:39:00 PM (view original):
We might need to spell out more clearly that when you switch to use the advanced depth charts (position roles) your depth charts are still set to your default position depth charts, so you need to set those up when you make the switch.

Do you guys think we should have FS and SS split out as separate roles for S?  Would you want any splits for CB?

The names FS, SS, CB are all different frostings for the same chocolate cake. If you understand how the formation charts and depth charts relate, it doesn't matter what you name them.

5/29/2013 11:33 AM (edited)
Even when switching to advanced it does not allow you to set which DB plays which role in the secondary. They show up as DB on the depth chart. Then as CB1, CB2, SS, FS in base 43.

There is no way to pick which guy plays what spot because it doesn't say which DB fills which role. I am assuming DB1 on Depth fills CB1 and so on. But, that doesn't fix the nickel problem.

NVM - I figured it out. Man I have been missing out on so much with advanced!

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.