Inform redshirt question Topic

I informed a recruit of a redshirt, this was his response
"Hey Coach, I can pretty much scratch San Francisco St. off the list - redshirt me? I don't think so."
But all the follow up,is I am still number 1 his favorite (I did a cv along with redshirt inform)

and on the recruit history it says
"5/5/2013 inform recruit of redshirt plans $10"

does that mean the inform went through and he will be fine if I do that, or that he will have a huge WE drop?

BTW- this is a JUCO kid, does that make a difference?
5/5/2013 11:38 PM
Doesn't matter what he says. You probably lost some credit but if you are still on his considering list then you are fine. If he signs with the inform still on then you will be able to redshirt him no problems.
5/5/2013 11:42 PM
FWIW, I don't see the value in ever doing this.
5/6/2013 12:15 AM
Of doing what? clarify?
5/6/2013 12:48 AM
He doesnt see the value in using the inform of redshirt.
5/6/2013 6:01 AM
The only value I see in informing of redshirt is that you KNOW he will accept it and you don't have to worry about it.

I would never do it if I'm in a battle, but if signings are here (or close) and no one is challenging me for a player (usually because that player isn't very highly valued and will need a redshirt to improve), then I may do it just to make sure he'll take it.

I don't use it often even in that situation. I think I've maybe used it twice in the past 20 or so seasons I've played.

5/6/2013 8:36 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 5/6/2013 12:15:00 AM (view original):
i use it frequently. i actually forget to redshirt anyone like half the seasons, but the other half, i usually try to inform of redshirt, if at all possible. any redshirt is usually better than no redshirt, but that doesnt mean redshirting the ideal player isnt any better than redshirting the least ideal player. for example, when i pull in a really good juco 2 that i was to be there with my sophmore class, i will inform him of redshirt. jucos will rarely take that redshirt without an inform, and allowing the composition of your upperclassmen in 2 years to be subject to that much volatility is something i avoid at all costs.
5/6/2013 9:50 AM
Hmm I never though of using it on a JUCO. Thats a pretty good idea considering some of them have incredibly high ceilings that its impossible to max out in 2 years.
5/6/2013 11:25 AM
I've thought about doing that to a JUCO but I always forget to inform and then they WON'T take the redshirt (at least for me they haven't yet).

5/6/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 5/6/2013 12:15:00 AM (view original):
The value is that if you know you want to redshirt a guy, then he will accept it without any drop in WE.

It used to be that you could keep trying a redshirt on someone that you did not inform and likely eventually get them to accept with no WE drop. That bug has been fixed though.

That being the case, if you KNOW you want to RS someone, then telling them means no complaints.

Certainly there is an argument for not doing it as well ... if the guy is the lowest rated player at his position, he is likely to accept anyway without an inform. I don't often RS at the higher levels as I take walk-on players to be able to do 3 recruits with 5 spots for extra cash,. etc.

Where this really makes sense is with internationals ... I think the bug still exists where a RS does not cause an international player to lower their opinion of your school after informing them of a RS.
5/6/2013 12:15 PM
Inform of RS on JUCOs is very underrated imo.  See below for a couple recent examples of 2-year JUCOs signed with inform of RS.  Both are among the best players I've ever had in D3, and neither would still exist without the RS.

Eric Hodgkinson
William Unzueta
5/6/2013 12:27 PM
Wow, killbatman, those guys look like they belong in D1, not D3.
5/6/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 5/6/2013 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Hmm I never though of using it on a JUCO. Thats a pretty good idea considering some of them have incredibly high ceilings that its impossible to max out in 2 years.
The inform of RS has a pretty steep negative effect.  At D2, I usually send it with a HV or three so  the recruit still considers me.   I haven't tried it at D3 for cost reasons but the batman guy seems to have it worked out pretty well!
5/6/2013 1:23 PM
Exactly right, if you can RS a JUCO and don't need him right away, but know he wouldn't take a RS otherwise, helps you get to those caps for them, add another year...
5/6/2013 2:19 PM
Posted by killbatman on 5/6/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Inform of RS on JUCOs is very underrated imo.  See below for a couple recent examples of 2-year JUCOs signed with inform of RS.  Both are among the best players I've ever had in D3, and neither would still exist without the RS.

Eric Hodgkinson
William Unzueta
Kb, shhhhh. This strategy won't be underrated much longer if you make it public, and flaunt those ridiculous players. ;)
5/7/2013 2:43 AM
Inform redshirt question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.