DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Posted by natenoy on 5/15/2013 6:16:00 PM (view original):
felonius, I think the best was is to take the fga/min of each player and create a weighted ave of all fga/min of all players and expected minutes used. So for example for my ODL team Kobe had weighted ave of 33.66% and ended up taking 33.97% of my shots on the season. Of course there is variation based on who is on the court, but I think this method can get you pretty close.
that's what I thought thanks
5/15/2013 7:04 PM
Posted by tanguma44 on 5/15/2013 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Also, I am rooting for you, Nate to win your first championship.... you have come a long way since last year and your numeric talents are undeniable. It's a matter of time before you win one and I see multiple ships in your future!!
thanks tang, but winning a championship will take a lot of luck with the level of competition here and in the ODL. With at least 16 or more teams each time knowing what they are doing it becomes very difficult to gain any type of advantage. And the really hard thing is that when the occasional mistake is made in one of these drafts there are 3-4 guys that usually have a chance to exploit that mistake before the draft even gets back to you. 

Plus now the 12-13 LeBron is SOO good whomever gets him has a huge advantage, even more than Wilt's at this point IMO. But this draft may have been a case study in exactly what NOT to do when you have that LeBron. This will be an interesting season though, and I think I did my best to maximize the Worm advantage, although I may have traded off a little too much of my board advantage in the name of efg.
5/15/2013 7:18 PM
    Name Team P U 2 3 Efg Orbd Drbd As% St%
    Robert Parish 88-89 Celtics C 20.9 56.7 0.0 57.0 13.1 24.6 7.0 1.2 2.2
    Tim Duncan 06-07 Spurs C 28.4 54.8 11.0 54.7 9.4 25.8 13.3 1.2 4.3
    Marques Johnson 77-78 Bucks SF 21.4 53.2 32.2 53.1 10.3 20.0 7.2 1.3 1.9
    Scottie Pippen 95-96 Bulls SF 24.4 50.4 37.1 52.5 5.9 13.5 19.3 2.2 1.2
    Andre Iguodala 11-12 76ers SG 17.8 48.0 39.6 51.4 2.6 15.4 19.8 2.3 0.8
    Andrew Bogut 09-10 Bucks C 23.4 51.7 0.0 52.0 9.4 25.3 7.5 0.8 4.9
    Michael Redd 02-03 Bucks SG 22.8 49.5 43.7 56.2 4.7 13.1 6.6 2.0 0.3
5/15/2013 7:28 PM
First off, great team name. Now, it seemed you weren't too excited about KG in the first. I get that. He doesn't usually end up on too many winning teams and his usage can be a pain in the *** sometimes. I never like him being the #1 guy. You took care of that in the 3rd with Shuttlesworth, who I love as a #1 guy if you are picking near the end of the draft. Allen always gets way more FTAs then you'd think and can put up close to 30ppg. I'd like him even better if you had some paint scoring to balance the floor though. You could have gotten it in the 3rd with Parish or Boozer but I'm not sure I'd be able to pass on Kevin Love either. Mr. Clean just does too many things well for a PF to get hung up on the D. Tree/KG can hide his D and his 3s allowed you to go after Cheeks(the defensive/ast% guard you needed) at PG. Gortat is good but you might have been able to do better there. I like the KG/Allen/Love trio a lot but I'm kinda underwhelmed by the supporting cast so it's not a favortie to me. Everything does fit quite nicely here. Super efficient squad.

Thanks DH being a Knicks fan that was some funny sh*t KG was saying.  To explain my methodology,  the strength of KG/Allen/Love together is TOs and D rounding and the weakness was defense.  Usually in the situation I use the low TOs to get some higher TO guys with other better advanced stats.  But this time I decided to take advantage of their low TOs. So that's why you may be underwhelmed by my role players.  Now with the higher defensive players means more missed shots, so the strong defensive rebounding will help keep them off the boards.  That's my thinking, we will see if it works

5/15/2013 7:53 PM
Posted by tanguma44 on 5/15/2013 6:45:00 PM (view original):
"Freedom is about having choices" Thomas Jefferson. Here is a list of names; Vancekillers, Vanbusters, Vancetroyers, Natedelicious, "NateI, Me & Myself", 98VSolutions, V98Anihilators, 98VNoyistros!!, aVerageNate98, UrExcellencyvs98V.... want some more :)
I vote for Below Average Vance Invaders.
5/15/2013 7:54 PM
Just keep on stroking each others egos tang and nate. I will focus on keeping doing what I do . . . building 50 plus game winners, most of the time, and winning titles. You 2 need to realize something. In this league I am the owner that 98average in his demented mind thinks he is LOL! Come on tang do you really think that a 5th round snag of Jerry West and a 6th round pick of Brad Daugherty makes nate's team a contender?

And nate's crazy alliance with 98average what's that all about? 98 is # 1 in the league power rankings so far with his draft ??? Well the past is a good predictor of the future. Let's take a look at how our teams did in the most recent odl season. My team 52 wins and 30 losses. natenoy 44 wins and 38 losses. 98average 28 wins and 54 losses. I would definitely keep on looking up to 98average and paying close attention to his draft league secrets if I were you natenoy. 

As far as team names go how about Vancem 2nd Alltime $52 Million Draft League Champ! Please add tied with scudmissle for 2nd Alltime if it will fit. BTW I like Vanceytroyers. 
5/15/2013 10:28 PM
Hey guys now that I am over myself check out dh555's evals om page 1. Great job dh555!
5/15/2013 10:33 PM
lmao vance just went all ash on us.
5/15/2013 10:39 PM
Posted by malone9975 on 5/15/2013 7:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tanguma44 on 5/15/2013 6:45:00 PM (view original):
"Freedom is about having choices" Thomas Jefferson. Here is a list of names; Vancekillers, Vanbusters, Vancetroyers, Natedelicious, "NateI, Me & Myself", 98VSolutions, V98Anihilators, 98VNoyistros!!, aVerageNate98, UrExcellencyvs98V.... want some more :)
I vote for Below Average Vance Invaders.
like it
5/15/2013 10:42 PM
Vance, not sure what alliance I have with 98, he's been giving me crap for the past multiple drafts as well, but I will be happy to take his GC this time around when my team finishes with a better record than his.

As far as the ODL goes, we'll see what the playoffs bring, I catch tar again so nothing good for me, but Kobe can be a real beast, so who knows how it will all end. My team was like 7 games below .500 at one point but finsihed strong, including a few big wins over tar near the end.

Pretty sure your rant gives me the team name I was looking for, thanks.
5/15/2013 10:46 PM
18. logain - Chris Paul, Magic Johnson, Rajon Rondo, Oliver Miller, Clifford Ray, Chris Webber, Jalen Rose

I liked the trade for Magic at first but then you locked yourself into the ast% gimmick. It's just not gonna work in this league. I led the league in points, fg%, 3pt%, AND assists last season with just Nash doing most of the heavy lifting in the ast% department. A good offense doesn't need an overload of ast% if you have the right people scoring the ball and proper floor balance. I'm as big on ast% as anyone here, but what's the point if you don't have the guys to finish all those pretty passes. CP3 and Magic will do their thing but Rondo, Webber, and Rose don't exactly strike fear in the hearts of defenses. Webber and Rondo are also both brutal from the line. I'm not seeing any 3pt shooting and the paint scoring is kinda weak. I just think if you're gonna go all out on assists, your goal should be to have a dominant offense. I don't see that with this team. The turnovers will probably cost you a few games as well. The Rose pick made no sense to me as it makes you pretty weak on the glass. Defense is very good and Magic/Cp3 should abuse weak defenders in the back court. This is definitely a bold approach and I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

i don't disagree with anything above. I already stated I wanted Nash over Rondo.. I almost went with Boerwinkle in that round by the way.  You probably would have liked that better too. As for Rose.. he was the ultimate commit to the bit pick. I wanted to see if High Assists could work in this league. Rose gives me those Assists like noone else I could get at the 4. 

My prognostication is this is an open league strategy that can have devastating results.. but with better defensive teams.. and with wasted salary due to not being able to get guys like Lebron.. I just don't see it working that well. But I had to give it a shot. If I win 30 games.. noone will go for 150% assists again! If I win 45.. maybe I changed the draft going forward. Plus.. I always end up with a middle of the road draft pick in these leagues. As usually I build borderline playoff teams (last time was my best ever).. I think this could fail and land me Lebron next time!

5/15/2013 11:49 PM
Worst Case Scenario (for my team): the Roy/Brandon experiment is interesting but a failure, as both hover around 50-51% efg and turn it over 3 times per game each thanks to uptempo, negating their strong to% numbers. To make matters worse, they take shots from McHale, who doesn't even reach 20 PPG, along with the other high-efficiency frontcourt players. The so-so defensive backcourt is torched a little too often on the other end. The team struggles to 38 wins thanks to bad division drafting and 98average does his "Itoldyouso" dance.

Best Case Scenario: defenses don't know which of Brandon or Roy to guard, further confused by the two players being assigned the numbers 32 and 33 and Roy's first name being Brandon. The two combine for an efg% solidly above their RL numbers and thrive as a high-usage backcourt. Teams try to focus on defending the guards but then realize how deadly the frontcourt is when ignored. The team shoots almost 80% from the stripe as Brandon, Roy, and McHale all approach real-life FTA while the bad FT shooters like Buck and Drummond (shudder) shoot well below RL attempts. The good frontcourt defense, and good-enough backcourt defense, hold their own and the big boys dominate the offensive boards. A good division draft creates good matchups and the team finishes in first by five games. 98average declares the success a "mirage" and a "joke" and still refuses to disclose what he bases team evaluations on. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, as almost any playoff team can beat any other playoff team in this league.

5/16/2013 12:11 AM
98average bases his team evaluations on the same criteria he builds teams.

If this team were to go to the playoffs...how many games would they win on the way to a first round exit?
5/16/2013 12:29 AM
Glad to see you are back Malone. Haven't seen you since I hurt your feelings. How's the family?
5/16/2013 3:14 AM
Posted by vancem on 5/15/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):
Just keep on stroking each others egos tang and nate. I will focus on keeping doing what I do . . . building 50 plus game winners, most of the time, and winning titles. You 2 need to realize something. In this league I am the owner that 98average in his demented mind thinks he is LOL! Come on tang do you really think that a 5th round snag of Jerry West and a 6th round pick of Brad Daugherty makes nate's team a contender?

And nate's crazy alliance with 98average what's that all about? 98 is # 1 in the league power rankings so far with his draft ??? Well the past is a good predictor of the future. Let's take a look at how our teams did in the most recent odl season. My team 52 wins and 30 losses. natenoy 44 wins and 38 losses. 98average 28 wins and 54 losses. I would definitely keep on looking up to 98average and paying close attention to his draft league secrets if I were you natenoy. 

As far as team names go how about Vancem 2nd Alltime $52 Million Draft League Champ! Please add tied with scudmissle for 2nd Alltime if it will fit. BTW I like Vanceytroyers. 
amen!
5/16/2013 8:58 AM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...37 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XL - Team Roster & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.