Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

I am new to this whole thing... and I have just a couple of questions for the vets. Is it helpful to call the recruit multiple times or send multiple packets of information? Do they stack? What is the approach you take when trying to get recruits to consider you?
5/9/2013 1:10 PM
Don't waste your time with packets of information. Call the recruit to find out if he can be recruited by your school, then offer home visit or campus visit depending on your distance with a scholarship. 
5/9/2013 1:19 PM
If the player's already on your DIII recruiting page, you don't have to call him first. You can recruit him right away.  And, yes, the efforts stack...i.e.  2 scouting trips is worth more than 1. You don't have to offer them both in the same cycle, however.

If it's a DII player you want, then gvsujulius is correct. Call them one time to find out if they're recruitable.  If so , he'll eventually 'drop' to your DIII list and you can recruit him. OR, you can 'pull him down' sooner with enough effort.  It's risky, and expensive,  and shouldn't be tried unless the player lives near your school.
5/9/2013 2:20 PM
As gvsujulius said, the HV or CV, depending on your distance is the best tool. Generally 2 HVs and a scholarship or 1 CV and a scholarship are sufficient to get them considering you. This of course assumes that they are immediately recruitable to you and not a higher division pulldown. If they are a pulldown then you will have to go through a certain number of scouting trips to pull them down before they will ever consider you.
5/9/2013 2:21 PM
They stack but the issue will phone calls and packet is they don't have "recruiting value" until you get out past 1500 miles or so.. &#160; Think of it this way, your effort equates to some sort of numerical value.&#160; <br />
<br />
The value chart is something like this: <br />
<br />
Phone call= 2 <br />
Letters =3 <br />
ST= 45<br />
HV= 150 <br />
CV= 350 <br />
Scholarship= 250 <br />
Promised Start= 250<br />
Promised minutes= 5 * minutes promised <br />
<br />
Those aren't right but they are in the ball park. &#160; You have to accumulate so many points before a recruit considers you. &#160;It's probably somewhere around &#160;400 using those values.
5/27/2015 2:05 PM (edited)
Thanks a lot. That's very helpful.
5/9/2013 2:41 PM
TJ, it seems like you're saying once a player is recruitable, all it takes is a CV to get him to consider you. Is that true?
5/9/2013 2:42 PM
At D3, yeah.  At least I would consider it like 90% true.  

At D2, you might need a little bit more effort.  

It gets confusing because recruits won't ALWAYS except CV.   I think this is when they are considering someone else but I am not certain.

SHORT ANSWER:  Yeah, that's what I am saying.
5/9/2013 2:56 PM
I've found if no one else (including SimAI) is being considered by a recruit you can usually get him to consider you by just an HV and a scholarship offer (or a start and a scholarship offer).
5/9/2013 3:32 PM
I am not real sure on that biz.   I am reasonably certain a HV and Scholarship will lock up 90% of recruits at D3.   I don't think it is quite so certain at D2 or  D1.

At least early in recruiting, the later recruiting gets, the easier it is to get guys to consider you.
5/10/2013 8:35 AM (edited)
Yeah, I've definitely gotten guys to consider me on the last day with an offer and 30 or 40 letters. 
5/10/2013 9:44 AM
Did you offer the scholarship before (or with) the letters?  Or did they consider you with only letters?
5/10/2013 9:47 AM
Unless the guy is far from your location, wouldn't it cost more to send 30-40 letters than just to do an HV or CV?
5/10/2013 9:55 AM
30 Letters is $450 which would be less than a HV at like 360 miles
5/10/2013 10:01 AM
Ok, so I'm going to make this my personal thread for questions that I can't find answers to in the QA and tip pages...

My next question is: say you promised a player a starting spot but they decline it. If that player still winds up on your team, are you still obligated to start him to prevent a reputation penalty?

Thanks in advance.
5/11/2013 8:29 PM
12345 Next ▸
Getting Recruits to Consider Your School Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.