Arm strength at SS Topic

I'm comfortable with the range/glove/accuracy, and the offense relative to position, but how much will a 70 arm strength hurt him at SS? How low do you think is too low for a SS?

www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx
5/10/2013 11:56 AM
that guy is a 2b or 3b. Most likely will be mediocre at SS.
5/10/2013 12:14 PM
I'd argue worse than mediocre at SS.  The arm strength and the range aren't ideal.
5/10/2013 12:27 PM
I think you're in for a shock if you play him this season. 

Last season's offensive output was somewhat of a fluke, imo, even in Boston.  He's more likely to go something like .260/.320/.350 this season.  He'd need to be an average SS defensively to justify the bat, and he's well below average, to the point where many guys just wouldn't play him there.  He helped you last season, as a utility player, but I would not expect him to hit enough in that role to help you going forward.

5/10/2013 12:54 PM
I wouldnt use him as anything more than a bench guy. Not a good enough bat to make up for the poor DEF @  2B/CF/SS.. 
5/10/2013 1:51 PM

I've come to feel that range is about twice as important per point as arm strength in terms of + plays. Thats just a casual observation, but at least I actually addressed the question you asked.

5/10/2013 2:35 PM
Yay, boogs!!!

His arm strength will produce plenty of negative plays. 
5/10/2013 2:46 PM
How the heck did he hit 20 homers?  He's a great utility guy to have, can play almost any positon decently....except SS and C.
5/10/2013 3:34 PM
Thanks all, especially for the input specifically on range and arm strength. Obviously in a perfect world, he's not a regular, but is used like last year, to spell guys and cover for injuries. But there were literally 0 decent SS on the market this year; I've got a defensive guy who won't crack .600 OPS, and I've got a 22 year old who could use at least another year in AAA since he's still worse defensively (and needs to progress offensively too). 

I'm not too concerned about contending this year, but we have a minimum win rule, so I'd kind of like to be sort of competitive. I guess we'll see how it goes for a while, and maybe get the defensive guy more innings against weaker RHP, where he won't be such an easy out.

In a bizarre side note, he came within one game of tying the world's record hitting streak as a rookie last year, but was stopped short at 33 (I know, kind of weak the world record is 34, but we're only 16 seasons in).

5/10/2013 9:31 PM (edited)
Arm strength at SS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.