What Hoops Dynasty Feat Are You Most Proud Of? Topic

Posted by colonels19 on 5/12/2013 11:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 5/12/2013 11:40:00 PM (view original):
Getting Oklahoma in a world.
Which translated actually means...

Ratting out coach_billyg for "cheating"

enough is enough... better to agree to disagree than to crap up the forums eternally! 
5/13/2013 6:44 AM
for my personal best, id have to pick winning 5 championships in d1 tark, in a span of 9 seasons. doing so as a rookie is what makes it particularly special to me. i spent 4 seasons at my first d1 school ever, moved up to colorado, who hadnt made the NT in 5 seasons or something like that, and then after 2 seasons of rebuilding, we started our 5/9 run - seems about the fastest path to a great run you could have. the first title of that run is by far the single title i am most proud of, because the team just wasnt very good. they were questionably in the top 25, i doubt many humans would have included us in a hand-made top 25. i was just hoping to get my first d1 NT win (making the 2nd round), pretty crazy to get the first win and first title in the same season. i remember in the 2nd round as a 1 seed (we were 34-1 on the season in the end), being so much less talented than my opponent, i just couldnt believe how good d1 teams were. i was still a rookie, it blew me away that an 8 seed could be that talented. i thought i was dead in the water! anyway, the rest of the titles were fun too but the teams were SO much better it wasnt even close, so that first one is the one that has always stuck with me. a lot of the key players, i hadn't even recruited, there were like 3-4 seniors who were a vital part - to me, that makes it more special, not less, because the quality of my recruiting was higher , and i had to make the best of what i had (actually my recruiting was worse, i only brought in 1 high end player and he didnt even start. but the next round at colorado and the ones at a&m, i recruited much better players).
5/13/2013 6:59 AM (edited)
Having a  d2 player go in the lottery.
5/13/2013 7:19 AM
Being 0-8 against jdno, but at least the games are getting closer.
5/13/2013 7:57 AM
I'm pretty proud of having a career winning percentage in the NT at over 75%, but I think the current Crum run is going to be the final answer to this soon.
5/13/2013 8:33 AM
Have to say winning 2 titles in 3 years running a zone. I was only hoping to get one but getting two was that much better.
5/13/2013 9:03 AM
*Making the NT Championship game as a 12 seed.
*Appearing in that NT Championship game and then the PIT Championship game the following season.
*Leading Oberlin to it's current place as the #2 all-time team in W's in Knight D3.

Certainly not the best under this topic but I'll take them.
5/13/2013 9:30 AM
- Making the National Championship game as a 15-seed (Incarnate Word, Season 32 in Smith).

- Making back-to-back Elite 8's with Arizona (Seasons 50-51 in Smith) sporting a roster that contained 11 and 10 zero-star recruits, respectively.

- Seasons 26 through 42 with Michigan State in Phelan: Finished with a Top 5 RPI 15 times in a 17-season span, with 7 Championship Game appearances (4 titles).

- Won 13 Big 10 tournament championships in an 18-season span with Michigan St. in Phelan (Seasons 29-46)

- Winning my first national title after an 18-season dry spell at Michigan State in Phelan last night.
5/13/2013 4:34 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
"Uh oh colonels, your daddy is telling you to stand down. What you going to do?"

Not really the best way to let a tired old argument rest, now is it? Just my opinion.
5/13/2013 11:01 AM (edited)
  • Winning my first national title at DIII Rowan; I had a great team for years and kept losing in the first and second round.
  • Winning back to back titles with Kansas, was shocked after it happened.
  • Going undefeated in DI with LSU...only other coach to do that in Phelan was Lostmyth, so to be on any list with him is pretty cool.
A thread for biggest regrets would be cool as Im sure we would all have alot more to say/complain about!
5/13/2013 12:06 PM
Winning my 1 and only title at Arkansas (Crum) with my lone post season award coming in the form of 1 Honorable Mention All Conference.
5/13/2013 12:20 PM
Probably early in my HD career with Whitman in Tark. I began a season 1-7 and then made a lineup switch and lost only 3 games the rest of the season and got to the Sweet 16 before losing a close game to a 1 seed.
5/13/2013 2:54 PM
One lousy D3 chamionship for ol' Vassar (Knight); seems like forever ago.  I wrote something like "I'm the happiest boy in the world and I'm only slightly kidding" in the coaches' corner.

Regrets, I've had a few.  Most notably, when coaching my alma mater Amherst in Smith, we made a national title game and led by 17 points in the second half.  I don't have to say what happened next.  It still sticks in my craw and that was maybe three years ago in real time.  Also lost title games (handily) with Vassar and with Occidental in Tarkanian, but it's the Amherst one that haunts my dreams.  Again, I'm only slightly kidding.

Edit:  I was doing a tracking thread back then so was able to look it up.  My memory inflated the blown lead by two points.  Here is what I wrote back then:

Season 42 was both our most rewarding season, as we reached the national finals for the first time, and our most heart-breaking, as we built a 15-point lead in the second half of that game only to lose to Shenandoah by four, 70-66. Congratulations to giesen5 and robdogg21 on the title.

As one poster wrote above, regrets are pretty easy to remember!
5/13/2013 3:11 PM (edited)

I haven't been around as long as most of you guys. But for me is two things. One is coaching my hometown school Springfield College to a CT and then to a win over the #1 seed on th NT as a #16 seed. Two and probably the thing I enjoy the most about this game is running the non-conference tournament I run in the Allen world. Check it out, still updating the website for this years event. www.freewebs.com/nyackinvitational/

5/13/2013 3:06 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
What Hoops Dynasty Feat Are You Most Proud Of? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.