An interesting draft theory Topic

Disclaimer: I am basing this on very few data points so if you have information to refute, please share.

Background: In my most recent draft in Gibson, I had 10 mil in college scouting and 6 in high school. Because of the low budget, I did not see the full 500 players. 95 players showed up as ???. Now of those 95 players, I saw 13 C,  7 1B and the rest were all pitchers. The players were intitally ranked as all of the ?? pitchers, followed by the ?? catchers, and finally the 7 ?? 1B.

Theory: The players were ranked by their true potential even if I only saw them as ???.

Backup: I looked up the round the ? players were drafted in and listed them in order as they appeared on my rankings:

Pitcher: 4, 1, 4, 1, 7, 1, 4, 8, 13, 12, 2, 9, 6, 19, 14, 23, 10, 11, 5 (after this no one was taken before the 5th)
Catcher: 2, 7, 6, 6, 19, 21, 18, 19, 20, 18, 20, 22
1B: 1, 3, 22, 17, 19, 23

So what does it mean? First, it could be a coincidence, but based off these data points it would appear that the ??? are ranked in some order. I'm not sure there is major use here, but if you had zero's in both of your scouting and you were walking up to a total crap shoot of a draft, maybe consider bumping up the first few ?? at each position?

5/13/2013 2:33 PM (edited)
Do their current ratings show up as ??? or just the projected ratings?
5/13/2013 2:55 PM
All.

And, worth a try, but, that pool will probably never have a future ML player in it.

I have a draft coming up, I think I may take a peek post facto myself.
5/13/2013 2:58 PM
Yes, everything is a question mark.

As far as no future ML player, the 2nd pitcher and the first first baseman were both top 5 picks. Granted if I had used this strategy I would have ranked the first P before the 2nd pitcher or probably the 1B. I would have ended up with a high overall, terrible control prospect.
5/13/2013 3:03 PM
Wow. Hmmm.
But that's a huge dice to roll. But, if you are tossing the draft anyway with low budget, could be worth a crack at the lottery.
5/13/2013 3:06 PM
An interesting draft theory Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.