PER 3 point shooting Topic

What PER do you start letting players shoot the 3? And what 3 point setting do you change as their PER improves? Mine is usually....

60-75= -1
75-80= 0
80-90= +1
90-99= +2

What are yours?

5/14/2013 3:13 AM
Three point shooting is a function of PER (mainly), Speed, Ball Handling, OFF IQ, and ATH.

If I had to guess, I would put PERimeter about 50% of the equation, Speed 25%, and the other three making up the final quarter.

In a vacuum, I set my guys to +2 as soon as PER is over 70 and their other stats are near 70.   

There are always other factors though like:

Do I have another 3 pt shooter?
Do teams play a - defense vs me?
What are the defensive strengths and weakness of my opponent?
Can the guy score using LP/ATH/BH?
What position does he play?
Who will be covering him?

5/14/2013 8:57 AM
I start testing the waters at around 50 (depending on BH).  You'd be surprised how good some 50-60 guys can shoot, or how poorly some 60-70 guys can.  It's mainly an "it depends" situation, as trentonjoe suggested.  

I never go +2, regardless of how good a 3 pt shooter they are. I find +2 goes far too extreme in the shot selection.  I like my guys to have the opportunity to drive if the defense allows it.  But +2 seems to forbid it.  +1 still gives a huge % of 3 pt shots.
5/14/2013 9:01 AM
This also depends on Division for me ... I would likely have a Div-3 guy with PER 70 set higher than a Div-1 guy with PER 70.

My 0 range is larger than yours ... in fact, I am likely to use 0 for most guys who I want to shoot 3's. I will only go +1 or +2 if I am not getting the number of 3pt attempts from a 0 setting that I want. I might also do -1 for a guy who can shoot 3's because I want to have him drive more and draw fouls.

Remember that 0 is "go with the flow of the game" and that if someone has a very high PER and a very low LP, he will shoot the majority of his shots as 3 pointers with a zero setting ... but, if a guy has the same PER (lets say 80) but a much higher ATH/LP then he will shoot a lower percentage of shots as 3 pointers with a 0 setting than a guy with a lower LP. But that might be better for his overall scoring.

Basically, if a guy is shooting better than 40% from 3, I might look at bumping up his number of 3's if I think he is not taking enough ... otherwise I will likely stick with a 0 setting if he is above the 55-60 range. If he consistently shoots < 33%, then I will bump him down a level.
5/14/2013 10:02 AM
I found out during 20 years of RL coaching that you can really get overly involved in stats to make decisions, so I developed a very simple formula here that works. That being said, I am an extremely aggressive coach. Based on my experience I believe in the 3. At the ratings below, if a get 4 guys shooting the 3, we will shoot about 21 to 25 a game and 35 to 38%+. Have been over 30 a number of times. I do not change settings based on the opponents defense. I do move guys around for matchups against MM.

50     0     if they maintain 33%. If not, drop them back to -1 until 55 rating.
60     +1  if shooting  38% or better at lower rating. If not hold at 0.
65     +1  if shooting 33% or better at lower rating.  

I am with udm_mike on +2. At these ratings with 4 shooters you will destroy most Zones and Press. You can work matchups against MM.  

5/14/2013 10:21 AM
Posted by udm_mike on 5/14/2013 9:01:00 AM (view original):
I start testing the waters at around 50 (depending on BH).  You'd be surprised how good some 50-60 guys can shoot, or how poorly some 60-70 guys can.  It's mainly an "it depends" situation, as trentonjoe suggested.  

I never go +2, regardless of how good a 3 pt shooter they are. I find +2 goes far too extreme in the shot selection.  I like my guys to have the opportunity to drive if the defense allows it.  But +2 seems to forbid it.  +1 still gives a huge % of 3 pt shots.
Do you find the 50PER 90 SPEED guy better than the 70/70 guy mike?

I have often wondered if the equation isn't linear but some how skewed toward the extremes.
5/14/2013 11:37 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/14/2013 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by udm_mike on 5/14/2013 9:01:00 AM (view original):

Do you find the 50PER 90 SPEED guy better than the 70/70 guy mike?

I have often wondered if the equation isn't linear but some how skewed toward the extremes.
I think all other things being equal, I'd have the 70/70 guy set to 0 and the 50/90 guy set to -1 and then adjust depending on how they actually perform and how many 3's they end up taking. 
5/14/2013 12:24 PM
Everyone starts at 0, then I use a 2 strike system to go down to -1 or -2, based mostly on PER and IQ. On rare occasions I'll play a guy at +1 for long stretches of games.
5/14/2013 3:35 PM
To find out how much speed mattered, I took stats of 40 players (all from D2) and then compaired them.  I found that PE is much more influential than speed.  Trentonjoe said 50% PE and 25% SP.  I think this is close to what I saw. It is hard to figure because even after 40 players for an entire season, there was still quite a bit of variance among similar rated players.

but if I had to guess, I would agree with the 50 PE, 25 SP and 25 other, or something close to that.
5/14/2013 5:27 PM (edited)
Oh, my own preference for settings is this.  I wont allow anyone at 0 or +1 until their offensive IQ gets to a B or better.  Then, it depends on how much higher their PE is than BH.  if they have BH almost equal to PE, then I will keep them at 0, even if they have a 90 PE, because I want that player to get to the FT line.  (Unless they are terrible at FT's, then it might go to +1 or +2).

I really dont have a set formula, it totally depends on the makeup of the team and the players other ratings.
5/14/2013 5:26 PM
I can't believe there are so many guys out there that are open and willing to freely discuss exactly how they gameplan...my GPs are nothing special, but I'm not showing my hand.
5/14/2013 5:27 PM
Your hand sucks. No one wants to see it.
5/14/2013 6:44 PM
lol
5/14/2013 9:11 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 5/14/2013 5:27:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe there are so many guys out there that are open and willing to freely discuss exactly how they gameplan...my GPs are nothing special, but I'm not showing my hand.
Was kind of surprised u didn't post a false idea to fool them
5/14/2013 10:47 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/14/2013 6:44:00 PM (view original):
Your hand sucks. No one wants to see it.
Found any "cheaters" lately, gumshoe?
5/14/2013 11:20 PM
12 Next ▸
PER 3 point shooting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.