Anyone ever see this film ? Topic

Never watched it, but it's the source of the famous line from Terry Cashman's "Talkin' Baseball": "And the Great Alexander is pitching again in Washington."
5/15/2013 7:25 AM
I actually did see it once upon a time way back when.  Couldn't recall the title.  Typical b-movie cheese.
5/15/2013 7:40 AM
I saw the end of it when I was a kid staying home sick from school sometime in the 1980s.  I remember thinking, hey that's Ronald Reagan!
5/16/2013 12:59 AM
I saw it a long time ago.
5/16/2013 3:09 AM
long time ago, and Alexander didn't drink, he was hit by a bat or ball that made him dizzy
5/16/2013 3:18 PM

" The Winning Team "

The Baseballreference.com site many of us use to assist in player research has a section called Bullpen that offers some additional information on players.

Their article mentions a baseball injury prior to his Major League career, and shell shock in World War I as contributing to his health issues, yet seems to state as fact that there were also issues with alcohol.

Internet Movie Data Base Link at IMDB for " The Winning Season "   -  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045332/

Bullpen page from Baseballreference.com at          http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Pete_Alexander

5/16/2013 8:00 PM (edited)
His father and grand-father were both alcoholics apparently, and at some point in his career he also started drinking. Hard to say what impact it did or did not have on his career. 

As for the actor that played him in the film...
5/17/2013 4:18 AM
Anyone ever see this film ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.