Great article on the value of defensive catchers Topic

One of the most striking passages is where the author compares the impact of the best "framer" (not even accounting for throwing out base-stealers) to that of Barry Bonds' wonder years.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9275754/studying-art-pitch-framing-catchers-such-francisco-cervelli-chris-stewart-jose-molina-others?ex_cid=grantland33
5/15/2013 1:05 PM
This is actually sort of mind-blowing. I'd noticed a difference watching the Reds' Ryan Hanigan, a very good pitch framer, and former Red Ramon Hernandez, who's sloppier, but to see framing quantified like that is pretty amazing.
5/15/2013 4:02 PM
I've always thought Posada in particular was ****-poor at this. Girardi was always much better. Not intending to be a Yankee basher, just an observation.  
5/15/2013 4:04 PM
Not to be a Mets basher but I everyone was happy when Piazza picked the ball before it hit the backstop.
5/15/2013 4:08 PM
Huh
5/15/2013 4:12 PM
Great article on the value of defensive catchers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.