who would you... Topic

pick. 

1946 Draft, my choices are:

Ted Williams
Early Wynn
Bob Lemon

Obviously Williams is the more "exciting" pick.  But after the 1st 4 seasons (46-50), he only has 5 seasons with more than 500PA.  He still have 10 seasons of GREAT numbers, but a lot of part time numbers. 

Wynn and Lemon are both anchors.  Wynn is more consistent - from 1950-1960 he's a solid #1-#2 starter.  Lemon, though is great as well.  Starting in 1948-1956 he's one of the best in the game.  

I don't have a stadium yet - but usually try to go for a HR friendly park or a -1B/2B park.
5/15/2013 1:54 PM
ryno, I think the best strategy is to trade the pick to me. I think it is too much stress and I hate to see a nice guy like you go through it. I will gladly bear this terrible burden that fate has placed on your troubled shoulders. 
5/15/2013 5:22 PM
Okay, being more serious for a moment, Bill James lists Wynn number 47 all time and Lemon 48, which is not much help. 

His argument is that Wynn was the best starter on two of the three best rotations of the 1950s, and was pretty much tied with Lemon and Feller in the third, while Lemon was valuable because of his pitching PLUS his hitting which was about the best of any pitcher in the century after Babe Ruth. 
5/15/2013 5:37 PM
You're both wrong.  He should trade that pick to me!!!!!!  After all, I'm picking 23rd in the NL portion of the draft.
5/15/2013 6:21 PM
dannino,

There is an old Nat King Cole (not Ray Charles as I thought) song about a dinner party where they are planning to eat a huge banquet of great food. The chorus is: 

"and we'll save the bones for Henry Jones, cause Henry don't eat no meat."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJyVvIS6Ls

5/15/2013 6:54 PM (edited)
I'd take Lemon. Over his career, Wynn is more valuable, but Lemon has more high quality years whereas Wynn is more consistent, but rarely exceptional. It's hard to find those exceptional seasons, but you cAn usually piece together strings of consistent seasons (even if it's just 2-3) from players in later rounds.
5/15/2013 11:16 PM
Angela Jolie - **** or no ****
5/17/2013 9:57 AM
who would you... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.