Tanking Game 1 of a Series to Rest your Guys Topic

I've seen people do this in just about every postseason, but I haven't paid attention to whether it works for the tank-er.  My opponent just did it in Game 1 of the Finals!   I never do it.  Once I clinch a playoff spot, but am out of the running for a bye I will tank regular season games.  However, I don't think you can afford to give away playoff games. 

Maybe I'm wrong though, what's everyone's experience been like?

5/16/2013 4:34 PM
You have to look at who you are playing.  If you feel like the only way you will get beat by a team is due to extreme fatigue then resting is a good idea, but if you are close I would still play full out.  In a finals round jakotay had Paul Pressey average 25-30 per game against me while he was falling from 65% fatigue to 40% fatigue.
5/16/2013 7:11 PM
It's depending of the situation and the way you drafted your team.... I have had success but also monumental failures doing it.... it takes practice, preparation and observations. Anyone can throw a game but knowing when, how and why mmmm that's an artl!!
5/22/2013 7:46 PM
it's such a crap shoot anyway giving one awway seems risky
5/22/2013 8:34 PM
Posted by felonius on 5/22/2013 8:34:00 PM (view original):
it's such a crap shoot anyway giving one awway seems risky
qft
5/22/2013 8:37 PM
Well, I won the championship in 6 games.    After game 1 he played his 3 best players 48 minutes each and won the next two.  Then I countered by doing the same with my best 2 and won 3 straight to take the title.  I'm always looking for useful tactics, but I don't think I'll adopt that one unless it's necessary to counter the opponent.
5/22/2013 9:28 PM
I never believe in throwing a game away.  It's worked against me once.  It hasn't worked about 10 times.  Those odds aren't good enough... but I welcome anyone to do it to me.  I'll take a freebie in a 7-game series.
5/22/2013 9:32 PM
let's put it this way seble has stated that 10 games is not enough of a sample size for statistical normalization to be established so guess what that means for a 7 game series - I just won a playoff game where I took 56 FTAs, I just lost one where I pressed and my opponent turned the ball over 2.5 less times than his season average (and my average steal % on the floor x5 is around 10%) - anything could happen
5/23/2013 10:21 AM

What's worse than tossing a PO game, tossing both 1st & 2nd games in the first two rounds. I was in serious fatigue trouble when the PO's started and knew I would be toast by the 2nd round. My PO plan was to rest my starters in the first two away games and try to win in 7 games. We're talking "IR list" rest your starters, no need to be shy about it or only rest alittle and maybe you'll win stuff. If your going to lose do it right, lose big time. The short of it is that my team was well rested and @ 100% when I reached the conf & league finals and I took home the ring. You need to understand a couple of things, 1) I hated the team and was ****** it made to PO's to start with, 2) it was an act of total desperation and 3) I bet sky, I could pull it off and I'd see him and his 57w chumps in the conf finals. BTW we did meet in the conf final. lol

5/27/2013 1:16 PM
was this that one progressive team you keep talking about?
5/27/2013 1:32 PM
No felon, it was an open $42M. You should know I prize prog league rings far more than OL rings.
5/27/2013 1:52 PM
I've built two teams in the ATBA and both have rings...  btw, I'm giving up one my championship teams in the ATBA, talk to seapilots and maybe he'll let you have it.
5/27/2013 1:59 PM (edited)
It has Jabbar/Bellamy/Boerwinkle for a front court and could win the ODL....
5/27/2013 2:01 PM
I'm the only person that did that and won vs. Ash lol. Oops. Sorry Ash. Its an act of desperation. I hate it, it works on occasion, Personally i try not to do it unless i'm desperate. I just do it for rest. I don't play my studs 48 minutes when i do it. 
5/28/2013 12:11 AM
Tanking Game 1 of a Series to Rest your Guys Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.