First Starting Pitcher in Playoff round Topic

Would like some feedback on a topic that recently came up in a support ticket.

When a playoff round begins, we clear the locked-in next starting pitcher so that the owner may adjust his rotation for the playoff round. So, when the first game of the round begins the first listed starting pitcher is always chosen as the starter regardless of fatigue vs auto rest setting.

It has always worked this way and is a carry over from SimLeague Baseball. The original rule was brought about after years of feedback from users.  Complete control for playoff rounds was important, and users wanted to adjust rotations manually.

In HBD, you may only have a cycle or two between end of season and a playoff round beginning. For some, having time to manually set rotation can be problematic.

So - a question for all of you is...

"Should we incorporate the Auto Rest setting when selecting the first starting pitcher of a new playoff round?"
Votes: 41
(Last vote received: 4/5/2021 9:41 PM)
5/17/2013 10:18 AM
I assume that this would only come into play if your designated SP1 pitcher's fatigue is below his specified auto-rest setting at game time  of Game 1.

I'm not sure why anybody would prefer to start a fatigued pitcher in the opening game of a playoff series.

This seems like it should be a no-brainer "yes".  I'd be curious to hear differing opinions.
5/17/2013 2:13 PM
I think the "concern" is based on how SIMMY picks the SP after off days.   For instance, a 58(83) with an off day coming will be 100% by the next game because he'll be 83(100) on the off day.    However, with the auto rest setting at 90%, he'd be bypassed for the next start.    The work-around that I use because of this(like for a game 3) is to lower all my SP auto rest to cover this eventuality before the playoffs start.
5/17/2013 2:24 PM
I had a ticket which created the post.  Thanks to Support for addressing it.  My team was in the playoff hunt with 1 game left to play.  4 teams were in the hunt for a division crown and the last wild card spot.  I started my #1 to try to clinch (lost, but won tie breakers)  That was the AM game.  Had no idea if I was in or not until I was able to look up the playoff schedule at the PM cycle.  PM2 was the first round game and it started my #1 again (90 auto rest) @58%.   1 2/3 innings later and getting shelled, he is at 8% and pretty much lost for 4 or 5 cycles.  My work place and schedule do not allow me internet access.  I wasn't looking for days off to rest my players, just place holder days (3 full cycles) to have the opportunity to prepare for the playoffs.  Since my #1's current AND projected health was below his auto rest of 90, I believe when it set the probable starter for the opening game, it should have used the auto rest settings and gone to my #2 who was at 100%.
5/17/2013 3:24 PM
Would incorporating the auto-rest feature in any way change the unlocked nature of the first SP that we currently have?

That is, if I have a scrub listed as #1 SP at the end of the season (just because that's how the rotation ended up), would this change the ability to move him to mopup or whatever before Game 1?

MikeT's "concern" is also a legitimate one, despite his use of quotes. You'd potentially be trading one extra step (the current person moving someone out of SP1) for a different extra step (changing the auto-rest settings), and losing some intuitiveness in the process.

5/17/2013 4:20 PM (edited)
Posted by t2bott on 5/17/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I had a ticket which created the post.  Thanks to Support for addressing it.  My team was in the playoff hunt with 1 game left to play.  4 teams were in the hunt for a division crown and the last wild card spot.  I started my #1 to try to clinch (lost, but won tie breakers)  That was the AM game.  Had no idea if I was in or not until I was able to look up the playoff schedule at the PM cycle.  PM2 was the first round game and it started my #1 again (90 auto rest) @58%.   1 2/3 innings later and getting shelled, he is at 8% and pretty much lost for 4 or 5 cycles.  My work place and schedule do not allow me internet access.  I wasn't looking for days off to rest my players, just place holder days (3 full cycles) to have the opportunity to prepare for the playoffs.  Since my #1's current AND projected health was below his auto rest of 90, I believe when it set the probable starter for the opening game, it should have used the auto rest settings and gone to my #2 who was at 100%.
Just FYI, even if no change is made, the simple solution for this is to have your #1 listed as SP5 for that final game (and your #2 listed as SP1 at the top of the rotation), because (win or lose) there's no way he was going to be ready to go in the next game.
5/17/2013 4:23 PM
As long as SP1 isn't locked, I don't see a reason why anyone would prefer the auto-rest turned off for that game. I've played someone in the playoffs before where I faced his ace with his stamina in the 70s and his response was basically "oops, that sucked. I didn't want that."

Mike's "concern" is actually something that could be addressed to improve the game. Although I'm not sure if it's impossible to fix that logic.
5/17/2013 4:26 PM
My "concern" could be fixed by fatigue recovery coming before auto-rest check when deciding on the next SP.   However, it's seems to me that it could get a little squirrelly because Pitcher A is fatigued from pitching but Pitcher B would get his recovery at basically the same time if someone was using screwing around with a one man rotation.  If for no other reason to see if they could break the sim.  Seems like a recipe for a disaster. 
5/17/2013 5:39 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/17/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Would incorporating the auto-rest feature in any way change the unlocked nature of the first SP that we currently have?

That is, if I have a scrub listed as #1 SP at the end of the season (just because that's how the rotation ended up), would this change the ability to move him to mopup or whatever before Game 1?

MikeT's "concern" is also a legitimate one, despite his use of quotes. You'd potentially be trading one extra step (the current person moving someone out of SP1) for a different extra step (changing the auto-rest settings), and losing some intuitiveness in the process.

I don't think so.   We still have a couple of placeholder days and an off day between series.  You'd have time to switch whoever to SP1 and switch the others out.
5/17/2013 5:40 PM
First Starting Pitcher in Playoff round Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.