Should there be a min .500 record rqmt for PIT? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Yes - and I say this as a coach that has won  PIT titles with S. Arkansas (Allen) and Longwood (Iba) while having a losing record in the regular season. It will definitely add more strategy to the game. Power conferences in all 3 worlds will have to think hard about their out-of-conference schedules. 

Also, in D1, it seems like the bottom 3 or 4 teams in every big 6 conference are filling up the PIT, rather than the top mid-major and lower level schools. 

5/17/2013 5:31 PM
Also, it should be minimum .500  - not a "winning record". I think that 14-14 in a very tough conference should get you in to the PIT, but that's the very minimum. 
5/17/2013 5:32 PM
Not to nitpick, but wouldn't 13-14 be under .500 in ANY poll?
5/17/2013 6:42 PM
I'm totally against this.  A minimum of .500 record to make the NT, absolutely.  The PIT, no way.  The PI tourney should be trying to reward the best teams that do not make the NT.  That's it.  Making the PI tourney reward playing a garbage schedule would benefit SimAI primarily!  There would be a gang of teams excluded from competitive conferences, that actually scheduled against quality opponents in order to include teams that had never played a quality team.  
5/17/2013 8:01 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 5/17/2013 6:42:00 PM (view original):
Not to nitpick, but wouldn't 13-14 be under .500 in ANY poll?
I'm glad you asked. I thought people might get distracted debating whether a 13-13 regular season record should be good enough, so I tried to prevent that.
5/17/2013 8:12 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by rogelio on 5/17/2013 8:01:00 PM (view original):
I'm totally against this.  A minimum of .500 record to make the NT, absolutely.  The PIT, no way.  The PI tourney should be trying to reward the best teams that do not make the NT.  That's it.  Making the PI tourney reward playing a garbage schedule would benefit SimAI primarily!  There would be a gang of teams excluded from competitive conferences, that actually scheduled against quality opponents in order to include teams that had never played a quality team.  
Below .500 teams can win their conference tournaments and thus qualify for the NT.

The logic of NT qualifying is outside the scope of this poll.
5/17/2013 8:15 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 5/17/2013 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Seble better not use this to make any decisions...there's not even a majority to begin with...
Seble is officially on notice that colonels19 forbids him to use this poll to make any decisions.
5/17/2013 8:20 PM
I'm tired of seeing rash decisions made because a certain few users on here feel "butt hurt" about what happened to them.
5/17/2013 8:25 PM
I feel like the poll should have been:
-YES
-YES, but only for D1
-NO

5/17/2013 8:26 PM
Thanks for voting, everyone. Interesting results so far. Please keep voting, and enjoy your weekend!
5/17/2013 8:26 PM
The only real impact this would have would be to screw owners who are in very tough conferences with only decent or good teams, rather than great.

My lone team at the moment is in Tark, GLV. It has been the toughest Tark D2 conference for as long as I can remember, and has to be in the competition for toughest D2 (or even overall) conference, regardless of World.

This past season, all 12 teams made the postseason. Basically, those who were above .500 made the NT.

Those of us below .500 were ineligible for the NT (though RPI/projection would have had a couple of us in), so we were sent to the PIT. The D2 PIT final four this past season was 4 GLV teams.

We each had solid teams, much better teams than most owners in sim-filled conferences, and when we played them in the PIT, it showed. But, because we had so many very good/great teams in conference, it becomes nearly impossible for everyone to stay above .500.

So, because we're in an extremely strong conference, we're "penalized" by not being eligible as under-.500 teams for the NT, and that's fine. To go this step further and make us ineligible for ANY postseason tournament in favor of lesser teams who played weak schedules is absurd.
5/17/2013 9:22 PM
If you can't win half your games you shouldn't be in the post-season unless you win your conference tourney.  Realistically, if you can win 7 non-conf. games you still don't have to finish .500 in your own conference to reach .500 overall.  If you can't do that you either don't know how to schedule or you're not good enough to play in the post-season.  If you know your in some mega-conference then schedule 9 or 10 wins so you only have to win 4 or 5 conference games.  The arguments put up against a .500 requirement that have been posted so far are very weak imo, especially at the DI level.  The benefit to mid-majors getting into the PIT at the DI level surely outweigh the Big 6 getting more post-season teams then they already do in the NT. 

Actually seems like a no-brainer.
5/17/2013 10:16 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/17/2013 9:23:00 PM (view original):
The only real impact this would have would be to screw owners who are in very tough conferences with only decent or good teams, rather than great.

My lone team at the moment is in Tark, GLV. It has been the toughest Tark D2 conference for as long as I can remember, and has to be in the competition for toughest D2 (or even overall) conference, regardless of World.

This past season, all 12 teams made the postseason. Basically, those who were above .500 made the NT.

Those of us below .500 were ineligible for the NT (though RPI/projection would have had a couple of us in), so we were sent to the PIT. The D2 PIT final four this past season was 4 GLV teams.

We each had solid teams, much better teams than most owners in sim-filled conferences, and when we played them in the PIT, it showed. But, because we had so many very good/great teams in conference, it becomes nearly impossible for everyone to stay above .500.

So, because we're in an extremely strong conference, we're "penalized" by not being eligible as under-.500 teams for the NT, and that's fine. To go this step further and make us ineligible for ANY postseason tournament in favor of lesser teams who played weak schedules is absurd.
Exactly.
5/17/2013 10:20 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Should there be a min .500 record rqmt for PIT? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.