Where to play these guys? Topic

Where would you play these guys?  Home Field is Colorado in a division full of hitter parks.

Eiland

Henry

5/20/2013 11:55 PM
Depends on who else you've got on your roster really, but:

Henry, being a lefty, pretty much has to be in the OF. 
His range is pretty low to play CF (especially in Coors), so that leaves LF and RF. I think in LF he will get a lot more chances and therefore a lot more + plays out there.

Eiland could play anywhere but SS imo. 
I'd be a tiny bit leery of him playing 3B due to the low arm strength, but I definitely would play him there because I think his vacuum-like range/glove will compensate well enough that over the course of the season he'd create quite a few more + plays than - plays. I'd rather have a 90+ range in CF for Coors, but he'd be a tremendous 2B, which IMO is his natural position. 
5/21/2013 12:55 AM
Eiland - 2B/CF

Henry - LF

5/21/2013 7:04 AM
+1 mchalesarmy, especially on the part where it depends on the rest of your roster.  I assume the underlying question is, "given the 97 glove, would you have the balls to try Henry and his 72 range in CF?"

I tried it once, with a guy with 67 range, and this was before they tweaked the engine to put more plays in CF.  My guy made 16 (-) plays in 73 starts.  Now, 72 > 67, and it's a small sample size-- but I'd expect something on the order of 25-35 (-) plays in a full season, with maybe 5-10 fewer errors than an average CF.  That adds up to giving away 15-25 runs on defense.

So it's not undoable; you just need to be getting a bunch of offense back to make up for it.  Maybe you can run Henry in CF behind pitchers with very high GB/FB.
5/21/2013 9:49 AM
Yep.. These guys pretty much have to play CF and 2B..  Henry has been at 2B and has collected 16- plays.. I figure you throw Eiland at 2B he will get you 15+ positive plays which is a 30 + play improvement.. The fallout would be that Henry will get negative plays at CF..  
5/21/2013 11:00 AM
If they have to play CF and 2B, you have to put the lefty thrower at CF.  No reason to pick up extra, bonus (-) plays for a lefty 2B.
5/21/2013 2:31 PM
Henry pretty well has to be a gold glove LF (or 1B or RF, but LF is best).
Eiland is best suited to play 2B, but he would be good in CF and a could be a gold glover at 3B... excellent range & glove seem to trump a poor arm at 3B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jason Jordan, and Eiland's arm is barely below what it "should be"
5/21/2013 7:46 PM
Henry would be wasted at COF Id say, put him at CF his 72 range is terrible, but if you get as many pitchers as possible with great GB numbers he wont see as much action.  Eiland will be an all star huge 2B, and with pitchers with awesome GB he will see a lot of action which would be great.  These guys have bats that kill at 2b and CF but not nearly so much at LF or 3B.  Its hard to get decent pitchers with awesome GBs really fast though, so this plan might not work so well.
5/21/2013 10:10 PM
Posted by kcden on 5/21/2013 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Henry pretty well has to be a gold glove LF (or 1B or RF, but LF is best).
Eiland is best suited to play 2B, but he would be good in CF and a could be a gold glover at 3B... excellent range & glove seem to trump a poor arm at 3B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jason Jordan, and Eiland's arm is barely below what it "should be"
Jordan still projects to 20 errors, and I would bet most of those are throwing errors, which imo, is worse than simply booting the ball due to a poor glove.

He also projects out to 25 + plays though, so he isn't bad by any stretch.

5/22/2013 1:04 AM
Where to play these guys? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.