Draft lottery to temper tanking Topic

Lesson reward for losing records.
5/23/2013 6:56 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

I suggested something similar but even I accept it's so convoluted that it might make things worse.

1-10 are reversed.
11-16 are also reversed.

I believe that would have teams attempting to position themselves for 10th best record as the season winds down.   The good part is, if they miss, they could end up with the 16th pick.   Another good thing is, if you aren't willing to play that game, you'd do just as well to win out and making sneak into the playoffs.  The bad part is the "target" is simply a moving target.   Some people would be content to have 2nd/3rd pick if they missed on the first and certainly wouldn't attempt to win games to make the playoffs anyway.  This could lead to shenanigans that would affect the playoffs(attempt to beat team A when wins are needed, throw games to team B because losses are needed).

5/23/2013 8:17 AM
In my own experience, an NBA style draft lottery for the top three picks is sufficient to deter blatant tanking.  If it doesn't do so, maybe you just have a league full of *******.
5/23/2013 8:35 AM
Occam's razor.  Minimum win requirements.
5/23/2013 9:11 AM
Had to look up "occam's razor."  I learned something today.

I agree.  The way to force people to be competitive to is to tell them they can't play in your world if they aren't.  Simple.
5/23/2013 9:18 AM
It has worked for me.   Nonetheless, there are worlds that don't have MWR.   I suppose the answer is "If you want to limit tanking, play in a world with a MWR" but that's not the solution for those that don't. 
5/23/2013 9:28 AM
So, should it be an intrinsic part of the game?
Is it reasonable to build the game to "fire" you after a period of non success?

5/23/2013 9:49 AM
Put aside the WIFS is throwing away a customer argument for a second, with the acknowledgement that it is a valid one.
5/23/2013 9:50 AM
I like the idea, but understand it won't happen because there's money involved, and WIS would probably lose customers because of it.
5/23/2013 9:53 AM
I think it would make the game better but it would also shrink the customer base.   Say you've been in a world for 20 seasons.   For whatever reason, we'll assume legitimate, you miss the pre-season.   Already depleted, you lose a couple of starters to injury.   You win 52 games despite doing the best you can with what you've got.  

Now, in a MWR world like mine, tough ****.   I don't want to hear your excuses.   You know that coming in.   But everyone in HBD doesn't want to play that way.  Hence, the shrinking customer base.
5/23/2013 9:55 AM
Fair argument.

Counter argument; my enjoyment of the game is affected by 3 people in the league going after the #1 pick. Let's say I'm the same record as two other teams going into the final series for the wild card race, and those two dudes are playing 30-129.

I think most agree that leagues with MWR are better leagues. Don't you want your product to be better? Why cater to the one off?
5/23/2013 10:02 AM
That's why we have private worlds.  Every PW can have their own rules and standards of enforcement.  Some are strict ("make it or you're gone") and some are not ("we'll review and consider circumstances").

Everybody can find a world that fits their comfort level.
5/23/2013 10:04 AM
Further, think of the application of "you're fired".

Open league, you get booted, and you get your team back when it hits the open market (probably).

The rest are at the discretion of the commish, who may or may not let you back.

You may say no difference than now, but just the uncertainty of "will I be back" should make for better competition.
5/23/2013 10:06 AM
Meh.   If you can get your team back in an open world, the rule you propose is unimportant.   If the commish can decide whether or not you get your team back, the rule you propose is unimportant.    Why bother?
5/23/2013 10:11 AM
12 Next ▸
Draft lottery to temper tanking Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.