Starting to get discouraged! Topic

Hey guys, I'm asking for help. My Seattle team in Tark is 1-4, lost to a couple teams we should've beat or at least kept it close with. I'm by all definitions still a noob and I know I'm making some obvious mistake that's costing me some games. I understand my team Defense rating is beyond low and that's probably killing me but what else would you guys change? (link below)

http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12353
5/23/2013 7:05 AM
The biggest issues I see are: 

1. You're constantly running uptempo with a team that doesn't have nearly the depth/talent to be running at that pace on a consistent basis. You need to give some thought to varying it up. 

2. You really, really, REALLY  need to recruit some athleticism. Three of your bigs have Ath in the teens -- that wouldn't be good for D3, it will absolutely get eaten alive at D2. Especially since those three players are also carrying well below average defensive ratings (and between the three, they're averaging almost 60 minutes per game...30 percent of your team floor time). I would seriously cut at least one of them when recruiting comes around, it's worth the minor reputation hit you'll take for axing a kid you signed in order to get more athleticism on the roster ASAP. 

Honestly, looking at what you have and who you've played, 1-4 looks right on the money for where you should be. 
5/23/2013 9:06 AM
Have you read aejones guide on how to win? The players you have recruited are no good for D3, let alone D2
5/23/2013 9:30 AM
A few ideas:
  1. Change your starting lineup to C - Price; PF - Russo; SF - Stephens; SG - Robinson; PG - Laureano.
  2. Back ups: Needham at both guards; Stephens - 3rd SG; Delbosque - 2nd SF; Smith - 3rd SF; Pastor - 2nd PF; Adams (2nd C); Rose (3rd C & 3rd PF).
  3. Play only SLOWDOWN tempo, except when behind at the end of games, then normal or uptempo.
  4. If Willis ever gets up off the bench, trip him and kick him in the nuts!
  5. Next season - rescind the schollies of Willis & Rose.  Take a couple walkons instead to build up more recruiting cash for the following season.
5/23/2013 10:18 AM
  1. " trip him and kick him in the nuts!"
LOL!!!!!!!!!  +1
5/23/2013 11:48 AM
Haha well I did figure out I prolly shouldn't be going up tempo anymore, but other then that these are all things that never crossed my mind. Thanks so much for the quick help it means a lot!
5/23/2013 3:55 PM
Quick update, is redshirting Willis a thought or should I just cut my losses at this point?
5/23/2013 5:41 PM
Feel free to always ask me for help via sitemail. I've been here a while, and while I'm not the greatest coach out there, I've had pretty good success. There are also many veteran coaches willing to mentor coaches that struggle. 

your team has horrible athleticism - especially with your new guys. Athleticism and Defense are super important - most championship teams are built around being strong in those two areas, and you've kind of ignored them. That's the main problem with your team. If you recruit better, your team will improve. 

I would run slowdown with that roster and feed the ball to your veterans that have some athleticism as well as LP and PER and don't distribute the ball to the rest of the guys very much. 
5/23/2013 5:49 PM
Posted by hobobilly on 5/23/2013 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Quick update, is redshirting Willis a thought or should I just cut my losses at this point?
If I knew for a fact that he was high-high in Ath and high potential remained in Reb, Def and LP, I would at least pause momentarily to consider redshirting him.

And then I'd cut him.

My rationale is that you'll be able to find a recruit who can step in as a freshman and be better suited to play a D2 post role (either PF or C) than what this guy's numbers will be after a freshman season plus a redshirt most likely...and you'd have that player for 4 seasons instead of 3.

My two cents says to just rip the band-aid off...it can't hurt that much.

5/23/2013 6:24 PM
It wasn't about it hurting, I was just wondering if he was even worth salvaging. 
5/24/2013 11:04 AM
Pastor would be another candidate for the axe, but you'd really be getting to the point where you'd just be saying to hell with it for next season and waiting to start a rebuild the following season.
5/24/2013 4:53 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/24/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Pastor would be another candidate for the axe, but you'd really be getting to the point where you'd just be saying to hell with it for next season and waiting to start a rebuild the following season.
Should I just clear the heck out of Seattle and watch it burn?
5/24/2013 5:18 PM
Depends on if you like the location of the team or have any attachments to the players. If you take over a new team, you can cut players without suffering on your reputation like you would if you cut players you have recruited. Going for Ath and defense is really important when recruiting. Ath is especially crucial for your big men. I would not take anyone under 40, and you want players that will end up over 60 minimum for PFs and Centers. I would also try to go for those numbers for defense. I think you could rebuild this team fairly easily.
5/24/2013 5:44 PM
Also, if you haven't already done so, take a look at yatzr's recruiting tool. 
5/25/2013 4:03 AM
Starting to get discouraged! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.