Halftime adjustments Topic

I'm in my 10th season of HD, and one of the many things I can't wrap my head around is how the computer makes adjustments at the half. See link below. (Note: this is not sour grapes... I deserved to lose this matchup and would lose it 10 times out of 10. I wasn't expecting the W, but was a little shaken by the second-half collapse). 

http://whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9485501

In this case, I was down 6 at the half. Neither team made adjustments - tempo, defensive settings, etc. - at the half, even though I've given the borg the ability to change defensive settings if losing. The second half?  I'm outscored 49-16. Unless one of my cyberplayers took cash from a cyberbookie at the half, I can't figure out how this turned into a such a blowout.  This second-half collapse has happened repeatedly, usually to a less alarming extent, in my HD career. Any thoughts?

5/23/2013 8:49 AM

There is a halftime adjustment within the engine that adjusts to keep out statistical anomolies.  From my perspective, it can make for some wild swings in the two halves.  In my experience it has worked against lower rated teams/big underdogs and decreases the chances of a big upset.  I don't agree with it but the game could produce even more absurd results if it wasn't programmed in the game.  Who knows? 

I don't understand exactly how its coded or the exact parameters of what it does but WIS admits to this being part of the game.

5/23/2013 10:03 PM
In one of the engine updates, WIS made the decision to artificially force teams closer to their mean expected performance in the 2nd half. IMO, it is one of the unwritten rules of any sports simulation that you do NOT do this. I think it's one of the worst decisions WIS has ever made. So if you're an underdog, and you overperform in the 1st half, the RNG is forced to be biased against you in the 2nd half. And vice versa for the favorite. Forcing results like this is just bad, IMO.
5/23/2013 11:42 PM
I really don't understand what kind of changes to make to my team.  Going into most games, so far, I've been favored.  And, the first half will turn out well for us.  But, the second half will be a disaster and ended up losing 4 of 7 games so far. getting a little irritated with it.
5/24/2013 1:14 PM
severe1,

This isn't the entire reason by far, but you need to get some better defenders on your team, especially since you play man to man. Not a single one of your low post players has a defense rating above 40, and you really need to get at least SOME good defenders to contend on a consistent basis.
5/24/2013 1:42 PM
bistiza, thanks.  i'm not crazy about the defense ratings either.  i proly should have chose a team with better defense. i'm recruiting for more defense. just can't come too soon.
5/25/2013 11:46 AM
severe1, another thing to note with the poor defenders is that your 2 best scorers also foul the most. So they get fouls that possibly keep them out of the second half causing you to lose with your primary scorers on the bench.
5/25/2013 7:05 PM
Posted by professor17 on 5/23/2013 11:43:00 PM (view original):
In one of the engine updates, WIS made the decision to artificially force teams closer to their mean expected performance in the 2nd half. IMO, it is one of the unwritten rules of any sports simulation that you do NOT do this. I think it's one of the worst decisions WIS has ever made. So if you're an underdog, and you overperform in the 1st half, the RNG is forced to be biased against you in the 2nd half. And vice versa for the favorite. Forcing results like this is just bad, IMO.
yup. another great contribution from the mind of seble. i know i was one of the guys who agreed that results were a little out of hand, but here, the fix is CLEARLY a greater evil than the original problem. its such an atrocious concept to use in a sim...
5/26/2013 6:12 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/26/2013 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by professor17 on 5/23/2013 11:43:00 PM (view original):
yup. another great contribution from the mind of seble. i know i was one of the guys who agreed that results were a little out of hand, but here, the fix is CLEARLY a greater evil than the original problem. its such an atrocious concept to use in a sim...
I'm getting the impression that gillispie1 is not a fan of Seble.
5/27/2013 2:51 AM
Halftime adjustments Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.