Am I wrong to think this guy could catch? Topic

I'm pretty new to this, I have an NL team and this is one of my prospects, JD Ramirez , he does me little good as a DH, but looking at his defense ratings it seems like he could be an averagish catcher defensively maybe?  i'm trying to get a better understanding of the ratings to set up my team for the future, so thanks for the help!
6/11/2013 6:06 PM
0 Range will mean a lot of PB. You can look at your world stats or pick another 1-2 worlds and see who leads the league in PB.  Then you can decide if his bat is worth that many or more. I've played 0 range Cs who can hit.

His throwing arm is pretty weak. Again, look at the stats. See what Cs get run on  Look at their arms. Estimate how many bases he'll give up.

PC is low.  I think Mike or someone did some analysis you can find in a post here.  I don't recall how much data went into it. Consensus seems to be better PC helps, but I don't think anyone know to what degree.

Bottom line is he's going to cost you runs.  You'll have to decide if he hits better than your other C options to be worth it.
6/11/2013 6:17 PM
Defensive recommendations for a catcher are 10/30/75/75/50.

Your guy checks in at 0/16/63/53/41 (current ratings, can't see his projections).

He falls well short in all categories, with probable future development not gaining anything significant.
6/11/2013 6:20 PM
thanks for the input, another question i was trying to look up league leaders from previous seasons to look at things like that, but i couldn't that anywhere.  the league leaders section wouldnt let me pick prior seasons, where can i find that?
6/11/2013 6:26 PM
It's probably faster to look at other worlds that are late in the season to do this kind of research.

To look at your world, you'll have to start with team stats. You can find the teams with the most/fewest PB. And best/worse CS percentage.

Then you can look at team stats and from there get to their C and see their ratings.

You can look at the 2-3 best, worse, and middle to learn how most of the ratings work.

I dont understand why HBD blocks assess to League Leaders for past seasons and All Teams on Player Stats.  All the data is stored. For some reason they  make it hard to get to.

6/11/2013 8:39 PM
Database design and performance, would be my guess.

I can fix that for them, for couple of 10-packs.
6/11/2013 9:28 PM
The guy's best value, is as a backup on a team that has a catcher that can play most every day and is particularly strong against righties.  Then this guy, while he is cheap could serve as an occasional backup C vs lefties, and a pinch hitter vs lefties on a regular basis.

The guy isn't good enough defensively, nor good enough offensively to warrant playing at Catcher more than as a cheap option to rest your regular catcher.  He's not a good enough bat to warrant getting much in trade value to a team looking for a DH (he should never be a regular DH, just not enough power.
6/12/2013 10:16 AM
People tend not to look at rosters when saying "Yes/no".   It appears, right now, that you have Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kris Ramirez Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Tony Montana and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Darren Scott as your C options.   That's a pretty weak group.     The bad news is that Ramirez is a weaker version of Scott.    Use Scott and find a decent C VR.
6/12/2013 10:28 AM
He is not a C
6/13/2013 10:24 AM
Agreed, he is not a catcher.  To see just how much un-catcher he is, you can start him at catcher at AAA.  It's just minor leagues, so it's a good place to experiment.  In all likelihood, he'll be a liability by every defensive measure, but seeing is believing. 
6/23/2013 12:39 PM
DH is his best bet against lefties. You could keep him as a 3rd catcher, but I wouldn't play him there often. I like catchers with 70 plus in arm and PC, but I over value catchers.
6/26/2013 12:44 PM
I never worry about passed balls. Don't think that's that's even a factor in this discussion.
His pitch calling is low. Pitch calling affects babip.
How much? Tough to really tell, but he's also below recs in AS and AA so he will get run on a lot too. I really like a catcher with +65 pc, I think it hurts a lot.

If I didn't have a playoff team I'd play him against lefties. If I thought my team was good, he would not be catching.
He'd make a nice 3rd catcher/PH in a national league park.

Change his position to catcher, let him play in AAA, and maybe you can trade him.
6/26/2013 7:30 PM
Am I wrong to think this guy could catch? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.