+ 1 Man to Man Against Teams That Can't Shoot 3 Topic

I have seen many teams have great success playing man to man against teams with horrible 3-point shooting and often horrible inside scoring as well.  First instinct for me is:  if they cannot hit a 3 to save their life, go -2.  Does the +1 work because it impedes entry passes?
6/12/2013 2:17 PM
No offense, I thought you were quitting.
6/12/2013 6:39 PM
Colonels - If you're not going to add anything of value, please don't post. 

MG - There's nothing in the guide that would suggest a + defense pressures the entry pass anymore than a - would.  Here's the full discussion of +/-

Another area that needs to evaluated after every game is defensive positioning. This is where your knowledge of 3-point tendencies and points in the paint is very useful. You may position your players anywhere from +5 (take away perimeter) to -5 (take away inside) depending on where your opponent attempts to attack defenses. There are other effects of positioning, however.

For instance, playing a negative defense aids rebounding, but makes a team more likely to commit fouls. A positive defense has just the opposite effect, with less fouls but also less rebounding help. These factors, however, are generally considered secondary to the prime issue of where your opponent is shooting the ball.

6/12/2013 7:18 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/12/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
No. Not me. Have two teams. Man, you add no value to this Forum. Thankfully others do.
6/12/2013 11:48 PM
Posted by udm_mike on 6/12/2013 7:18:00 PM (view original):
Colonels - If you're not going to add anything of value, please don't post. 

MG - There's nothing in the guide that would suggest a + defense pressures the entry pass anymore than a - would.  Here's the full discussion of +/-

Another area that needs to evaluated after every game is defensive positioning. This is where your knowledge of 3-point tendencies and points in the paint is very useful. You may position your players anywhere from +5 (take away perimeter) to -5 (take away inside) depending on where your opponent attempts to attack defenses. There are other effects of positioning, however.

For instance, playing a negative defense aids rebounding, but makes a team more likely to commit fouls. A positive defense has just the opposite effect, with less fouls but also less rebounding help. These factors, however, are generally considered secondary to the prime issue of where your opponent is shooting the ball.

I was always under the impression that the further away from 0 you got in either direction, the more fouls you commit. 

But I agree, I think defensive positioning is all effed up.
6/13/2013 7:48 AM

If the teams are inferior to the opponent then defensive positioning really isn't the biggest factor in winning. The talent on the court sounds like the reason for the success. If you are playing against a team that can't score inside or out then that team is just bad. Seems that the def. positioning call would depend on how these particular teams are trying to attack. If I were at a RB disadvantage against teams like this I'd play - D, but if I had the RB advantage I may play + D to limit fouling. I guess if they can't score then I would focus on the secondary uses of def positioning.

6/13/2013 9:32 AM
Posted by MyGeneration on 6/12/2013 11:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/12/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
No. Not me. Have two teams. Man, you add no value to this Forum. Thankfully others do.
Lol...

From the Force a guy to quit? and fast? thread...

6/1/2013 5:24 PM
MyGeneration
Block this user
Add this user to favorites

Thanks guys (except the last sophomric retort) . Seriously, no recourse for a heart attack? Love the game, but kind of ******. Understand you don't want to open the floodgates but a heart attack,? Tubes and wires? Sedated to point of no phone use? Think I'll retire.

So you were gonna take your ball and go home...'member now?
6/13/2013 2:50 PM
+ 1 Man to Man Against Teams That Can't Shoot 3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.