I don't really do this but I think it might be a fun exercise(or at least somewhat enlightening to what people like):

Which guy?
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Harold Jordan
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Pedro Chavez

I don't expect either to hit and I do have Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Brett Fogg to platoon with Chavez if I go that route.  

Votes: 81
(Last vote received: 5/28/2018 12:05 AM)
6/13/2013 5:14 PM
Surprised Jordan is getting so much love.  Anyone looked at his BL stats?
6/13/2013 8:34 PM
Yep.  GG caliber defensive stats, good speed and baserunning ratings, and he averages 90 runs scored per 162 games.  I'll take that for a GG CF.
6/13/2013 8:53 PM
Uh, Chavez is a better fielder and baserunner.    RS is kinda irrelevant as no one steals 3 bases after their single.
6/13/2013 8:55 PM
The difference in fielding and speed/baserunning between the two is negligible.  Jordan should get on base more often.  Hence, more runs scored.
6/13/2013 9:13 PM
I voted for Chavez. Jordan may have a marginally better bat but neither will hit well enough to be at the top of the order. Chavez is the better defender.

IMO only way Jordan scores 90 runs is leading off and that's a bad place to use up all his outs.
6/13/2013 9:14 PM
Who I go with will bat 9th.    The initial plan was Chavez/Fogg but I had a few dollars left over after FA and saw Jordan sitting there.  Since he had options, he was my safety net if C/F failed.
6/13/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by damag on 6/13/2013 9:16:00 PM (view original):
I voted for Chavez. Jordan may have a marginally better bat but neither will hit well enough to be at the top of the order. Chavez is the better defender.

IMO only way Jordan scores 90 runs is leading off and that's a bad place to use up all his outs.
You don't need to bat him lead off, and you shouldn't expect to get 90 runs out of him (though that's been his career average per 162 games).  But I'll argue that the difference in offense between Jordan and Chavez is less marginal than the difference in their defense.

I'd still give the nod to Jordan.  The only wild-card is that fact that Chavez is a switch-hitter and Jordan is a righty.  I don't think that compensates for the difference in splits between the two, particularly the vsL split.

Maybe if I had the roster spot, I'd take them both and platoon them (Chavez vs RHP, Jordan vs LHP).  The non-starter would be available as a pinch-runner and/or a 2B D-rep off the bench.
6/13/2013 9:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2013 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Who I go with will bat 9th.    The initial plan was Chavez/Fogg but I had a few dollars left over after FA and saw Jordan sitting there.  Since he had options, he was my safety net if C/F failed.
You are always talking about "you can find a guy like that at the end of free agency"; this is a perfect example of the kind of useful leftovers which can be available.
6/13/2013 10:25 PM
I'd platoon Jordan and Chavez; I prefer Jordan to Fogg against LHP.
6/13/2013 11:17 PM
Don't forget that Chavez hits left-handed against righties. Jordan does not. If I were forced to guess, I'd guess Chavez would have a slightly better OPS against RHP than Jordan.
6/13/2013 11:42 PM (edited)
Posted by dedelman on 6/13/2013 11:17:00 PM (view original):
I'd platoon Jordan and Chavez; I prefer Jordan to Fogg against LHP.
Only one spot on the BL roster and Fogg is my utility player.   While my 3B/SS/2B have 87+ DUR, neither Jordan or Chavez have the arm for 3B/SS in case of short-term injury.  Fogg got 300+ AB last season and hit .290.
6/14/2013 8:01 AM
Neither of them can face RH pitching.
6/14/2013 8:27 AM
Both suck at hitting, but (particularly with a platoon-mate handy) they're roughly a wash.

Chavez is better in the field and on the bases, and improving rather than declining. Get him into the Majors and let him platoon and be a defensive replacement/PR for the next 3-4 seasons.

Put Jordan out to pasture in AAA where he belongs until/unless someone gets hurt and you need a fill-in.
6/14/2013 8:40 AM
Jordan lost 4 range last season, and he is barely still a CF.  For that reason alone its good enough to make the choice for Chavez.  Not to mention vsR Chavez is clearly better and Foggs vsL bat is quite decent especially at 9th spot.  For me the choice is clear.
6/14/2013 8:50 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.