Phelan: One Team, 6 EE's Topic

Posted by professor17 on 6/14/2013 3:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by girt25 on 6/14/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I voted for B.

What happened to LSU should simply not be possible.

The big problem to me is that getting lucky/unlucky with EEs is just an enormous factor -- it basically has the power to determine whether or not your team will be a title contender the following season. And something like that should most certainly not boil down to (essentially) luck.
+1

This is the most troubling thing to me about the EE process. It has enormous consequences, and it is predicated mostly on flat out dumb luck. I thought my team in Phelan had 7 players that could potentially go EE and was bracing for at least 3. I was lucky and had only 1. I will have a very good team next season. Meanwhile, LSU got completely wiped out and won't be competitive (at an elite level) for probably a couple of seasons. Those outcomes easily could have been reversed, based solely on luck. One coach makes out, the other is crushed. This isn't luck around the margins. This is determinative luck.
+1
6/14/2013 5:25 PM
Posted by jeffdrayer on 6/14/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by girt25 on 6/14/2013 2:39:00 PM (view original):
I voted for B.

What happened to LSU should simply not be possible.

The big problem to me is that getting lucky/unlucky with EEs is just an enormous factor -- it basically has the power to determine whether or not your team will be a title contender the following season. And something like that should most certainly not boil down to (essentially) luck.
100% agree.

How's this for a stat: Alabama (Smith) has only graduated 10 seniors in the last 11 years.  That's absurd.

Ticket worthy
6/15/2013 2:41 AM
To a degree, I can live with getting crushed like this but I do have a couple of issues:

1) There just arent enough quality recruits in one cycle to replace 9 players;
2) IQs play such a big part of the game that even if I replace the roster competing will be rough;
3) This really crushed all the cool streaks Ive been on at LSU over the last ten seasons and it just feels arbitrary.

Anyhow I didnt submit a ticket as frankly mine are always ignored and it seems only one or two people have Sebles ear. That said I will be back. I really love that conference amd group of coaches.
6/15/2013 3:16 AM
And we should be careful in this conversation, because I also feel strongly that IQ needs to have the impact that it does today. It gives non-BCS teams the opportunity to be more competitive (crucial), and it allows for a lot more team building and strategy. So I hope that doesn't change.

But ideally, something would change when it comes to EEs that, as prof puts it, removes (or at least significantly reduces) the "determinative luck" element.

mamxet's suggestion of making this a part of recruiting scouting is definitely one way to go, and would be an improvement. This way, you know which guys are more likely to leave vs. stay, and you can make strategic decisions accordingly. I think it would not only help the EE issue being addressed in this thread, but would also make for a richer experience in recruiting/team building.

Since that would take more work, a more simply solution where they made it more difficult for teams to get gutted would be a welcome change, too. And that would be pretty easy to implement. I've pitched that to seble previously, and at least at the time, he argued with me and basically didn't get it. I think just about anyone playing at the highest levels of DI does.

6/15/2013 8:19 AM
who knows how they'll destroy things when they revamp recruiting which has been coming down the pike for.......how long now?
6/15/2013 9:54 AM
We actually had the same situation as mmt0315 2 seasons ago -- gutted by EEs, returned only 1 Jr and 2 sophs, with 9 openings. For what it's worth, we brought in a good class and still made the E8, and then the F4 -- and then lost 2 more sophs and a Jr and are gutted once again.

At this point, I expect my best players to leave after 2 years, and feel like we tricked the computer if one actually stays 3...
6/15/2013 11:38 AM
In this case, it would have been a good idea for them to not have had 3 walk ons. If there were no walk ons, there would have been 6 returning players instead of 3.
6/15/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 6/14/2013 11:58:00 AM (view original):
I don't really see an issue with this. They are all legitimate EEs.

NT champ has 0 EEs because they have 7 seniors... it's impossible for them to have EEs.

I think this is a good contrast. Is this any different than the Billy Donovan model versus the John Calipari model in real life? Recruit guys not quite as good, not quite as likely to leave early (and get lucky they don't), and see what you can do with a large senior class vs teams that have loads of 5-star underclassmen.
6/15/2013 12:35 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 6/15/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
In this case, it would have been a good idea for them to not have had 3 walk ons. If there were no walk ons, there would have been 6 returning players instead of 3.
+1
6/15/2013 6:32 PM
this coach deserved it. good riddance it should have been 9. 
6/18/2013 4:12 PM
How about 15k per scholly even if it's past the max of 6 open spots (IF going past the max of 6 is the result of EE's and not the result of cutting/transferring)? That way, coaches could at least try to rebuild the roster with a bit more money. It's an incredibly challenging task to try to fill 8 scholarships with 6 schollys worth of money when your roster is already gutted due to randomness
6/19/2013 11:19 AM
Oh man, that's an awful idea.

What are you basing how tough it is to fill scholarships due to EE?
6/19/2013 11:50 AM
Agreed -- that's not the solution. Being able to sign enough good recruits with $100K+ and A+ prestige is not the problem here.
6/19/2013 8:32 PM
For anyone wondering, filled 7 of the 9 spots. Got an ineligible and a JR, so ironically playing again with 9. Was still ranked preseason and am actually going back to the offensive gameplanning that got LSU in the right direction 10 seasons ago. Will season if it can help maintain this program with a brutal schedule and young team.
6/24/2013 10:52 AM
Posted by mmt0315 on 6/24/2013 10:52:00 AM (view original):
For anyone wondering, filled 7 of the 9 spots. Got an ineligible and a JR, so ironically playing again with 9. Was still ranked preseason and am actually going back to the offensive gameplanning that got LSU in the right direction 10 seasons ago. Will season if it can help maintain this program with a brutal schedule and young team.
again, this coach deserved it. good riddance it should have been 9. 
6/24/2013 6:34 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Phelan: One Team, 6 EE's Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.