Fbreak & Full Court Press: How small can I go? Topic

I had my best success with my not so great team when I put a PG type of player with 50 DEF (D3) and no LP or REB skills at the PF position.

So I just want to know, how small can I go?
Can just having 1 center and 4 PG/SG type of players be able to weather the storm of being destroyed inside by a solid LP guy on defense?

Gwynedd Mercy is the team if you click my username.
6/19/2013 9:38 AM
For the Run & Gun and Full Court Press: You can get away with:
Votes: 0
6/19/2013 9:39 AM
The poll doesn't work (may be my browser problem), but you only would have one or two rebounding starters in the setup, dependent upon your SF. I would go ahead and say it is a no go.
6/19/2013 1:11 PM
3 guards, 1 sf & 1 pf/c works great, especially if the sf can rebound - but even w/out the sf being able to rebound - the turnovers produced will even out the lost rebounds. we (rollins, smith, d2) consistently produce fewer rebounds than our opponents (33.1 to 36.7), but we force our opponents into 23+ turnovers per game and out steal them 12.9 to 6.9 per game. 
don't get too caught up with rebounding - don't get me wrong, it's an important part of the game - but if your guards have good ath/spd/def #'s, you should do ok.
i haven't tried 4 guards and 1 big - that might be pushing it.
6/19/2013 1:38 PM
I've successfully gone with 4 guards and 1 center, but the guard in the pf spot had 50ish rebounding.  
6/19/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by ll316 on 6/19/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
I've successfully gone with 4 guards and 1 center, but the guard in the pf spot had 50ish rebounding.  
where do they make those players outside of high D1 nba prospects?
6/19/2013 4:00 PM
Posted by paynebrow on 6/19/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
The poll doesn't work (may be my browser problem), but you only would have one or two rebounding starters in the setup, dependent upon your SF. I would go ahead and say it is a no go.
chrome
6/19/2013 4:00 PM
Posted by blackmink18 on 6/19/2013 4:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ll316 on 6/19/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
where do they make those players outside of high D1 nba prospects?
It was a D3 player.  Actually, I've had 3 now that I think about.  Lots of D3 guys who have 70ish and up ATH with 20-40 speed.  But only the 1 had the good rebounding to go with it.  Didn't start out with much if I remember correctly, but had HH potential.  I think he was 50's ath/spd/reb/def with not much at all lp or per.  

He he is.  whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Default.aspx

6/19/2013 6:05 PM
And I don't think it's a coincidence that he graduated the 2nd year of back to back NT games (both losses, unfortunately).
6/19/2013 6:07 PM
As an experiment I have run 5 guards in the uptempo fb/press combo in D3 and had good success when it was done in superclass form.  the lean years are very lean but when your guys are jr/sr you can make a real run.  you need to have a lot of 3 point shooting and you have to try to find at least a few guards who can max with 40+ rebounding to minimize the damage on the boards.  you have to run 12 guys and you have to accept that you're going to get killed on the boards and that youre trying to make up for it with steals and easy baskets. 

With that said I see no reason it can't work with guards and a big or 3 guards a sf and a post player. 
6/20/2013 10:51 AM
If I was too go with a 4 guard FB offense I would make sure any Guard playing the PF position was listed as a +2 on 3 point frequency.
6/20/2013 5:13 PM
Posted by plague on 6/20/2013 5:13:00 PM (view original):
If I was too go with a 4 guard FB offense I would make sure any Guard playing the PF position was listed as a +2 on 3 point frequency.
That's interesting...why would you do that specifically at PF?  To draw their PF out of rebounding position?
6/21/2013 7:24 AM
If we're looking to exploit defensive matchups, I'd try putting that +2 bomber at C and put the kid who was going to play C at PF instead.  My thinking is that the opposing team's Center is usually slower than his PF, so in theory the +2 guy should have even better looks if his guy can't keep up.  Or simply rotate the +2 guy b/w PF and C if you're playing a MM defense depending on where the weak link defensively was for that team.  And the difference in rebounding should be minimal regardless of whether your lone solid rebounder plays C or PF.

Of course, all these theories could go out the window in the HD engine.
6/21/2013 10:40 AM
Posted by udm_mike on 6/21/2013 7:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by plague on 6/20/2013 5:13:00 PM (view original):
That's interesting...why would you do that specifically at PF?  To draw their PF out of rebounding position?
Because the PF position uses the  Low Post rating and not the perimeter rating. I want my Guard at the PF position using his perimeter rating and not his low post rating and I figure to do that I need to have him shooting threes.
6/21/2013 11:17 PM
Fbreak & Full Court Press: How small can I go? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.