Rules Question Topic

Miguel Gonzalez entered the 8th inning against the Jays having allowed 2 runs. He gave up a lead off single to Kowasaki and was taken out. O'Day allowed a fielder's choice to Rajai Davis and Kowasaki was retired at 2B. Then Bautista homered.

According to the stat sheet, 3 runs were charged to Gonzalez - should it not be 2 and 2?

6/22/2013 6:07 PM
No.  Gonzalez put the runner on.  The fact the identity of the runner later changed due to the fielder's choice is irrelevant.  The existence of the runner was the responsibility of Gonzalez.  I don't have the MLB rule book in front of me, but I have looked this up before and they cover this situation explicitly.
6/22/2013 6:12 PM
I wasn't aware of that. Good info.
6/22/2013 6:13 PM
Here's the exact ruling...from 10.16(g).  Comment 2 explicitly covers this situation:

(g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the official scorer shall not charge the

relief pitcher with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on

base at the time such relief pitcher entered the game, nor for runs scored by any

runner who reaches base on a fielder’s choice that puts out a runner left on base by

any preceding pitcher.

Rule 10.16(g) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.16(g) to charge each pitcher with the

number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners

on base and is relieved, such pitcher shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and

including the number of runners such pitcher left on base when such pitcher left the game, unless such

runners are put out without action by the batter (i.e., caught stealing, picked off base or called out for

interference when a batter-runner does not reach first base on the play). For example:

(1) Peter is pitching. Abel reaches first base on a base on balls. Roger relieves Peter. Baker

grounds out, advancing Abel to second base. Charlie flies out. Daniel singles, scoring

Abel. Abel’s run is charged to Peter

(2) Peter is pitching. Abel reaches first base on a base on balls. Roger relieves Peter. Baker

forces Abel at second bases. Charlie grounds out, advancing Baker to second base.

Daniel singles, scoring Baker. Baker’s run is charged to Peter.

6/22/2013 6:17 PM
Rules Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.