Max Offer question Topic

7/3/2013 10:56 PM
He is dominant, but he doesn't throw a lot of innings.  He's a good age.  If you have a low-end playoff team and you're looking for a difference-maker, I'd consider doing it.  
7/3/2013 11:11 PM
That's about where I'm at. He could potentially put me over the top, but as you said, that's a lot for 175IP/season
7/3/2013 11:18 PM
The guys that are worth $20M are the ones who can win your WS. This guys qualifies.
7/4/2013 12:55 AM
No way is he worth it.

175 innings of 2.5 ERA isn't max. contract stuff.

If you're close to being over the top, spend money and upgrade as SS or C or 1B.  You can get two great guys at those positions for $20M.  Or get a great catcher AND a nice pitcher....

You can better invest the money than in one guy.
7/4/2013 1:53 AM
definitely worth it.
7/4/2013 5:25 PM
Posted by bripat42 on 7/4/2013 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Based on what you said you're looking for, innings pitched in the regular season shouldn't be a high priority. If you need a guy to push you over the top, presumably you already have a playoff-caliber team. This guy swings the odds heavily in your favor for as many as 2 games in any playoff series. That might very well be worth $110 million, but only you can really decide.
My feelings as well. 
7/4/2013 11:42 PM
You also have to consider if you're a playoff contender for the full contract.   If not, can you move him when you're not?

You're probably familiar with this guy:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rob Prince   He cleared waivers in S4 of his max deal. 
7/5/2013 12:49 PM
True, but I did find a trade partner when it was obvious Prince wasn't making the difference - still missed the MWR by one, but I digress.

May is younger than Prince was and has not started to decline yet. He's definitely got the ability to be a max contract guy - just wondering if it was worth it for 175IP but bripat said it well. I lost in the division round last season with a solid team.
7/5/2013 8:33 PM
Point being, I wouldn't be able to find a trade partner for Prince in his last two seasons. 
7/6/2013 6:46 AM
It's moot now. Someone just spent $8M on a better pitching coach and took over the top spot
7/6/2013 7:24 AM
Max Offer question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.