which seasons of Ruth and Gehrig Topic

I dont usually play in leagues where I can use them, but is there conventional wisdom on which of the great Ruth seasons - and which of the great Gehrig seasons - are the best bets for success and value for money?
7/7/2013 1:26 PM
I play in mostly non-clone $255 leagues and have used 27 Gehrig and 23 Ruth. I've stopped using Gehrig though as he has not been consistent for me. I usually put Ruth at 1B and load up with other OF i like. Williams, Cobb, O'neill, Bonds, Mantle are other OF I use. Sometimes I put 22 Sisler or 48 Musial at 1B and leave 23 Ruth in the OF.
7/7/2013 2:35 PM
The cheaper Ruth seasons are better value at $80M cap simply because you cannot afford to spend too much on one hitter. At higher caps 1927 seems to get the most play but I think that reflects a bias toward HomeRuns and not the best overall value in that price range. If money doesn't matter then I agree with 1923.I've only used Gehrig a few times and he's been a mild disappointment.
7/7/2013 4:19 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 7/7/2013 4:19:00 PM (view original):
The cheaper Ruth seasons are better value at $80M cap simply because you cannot afford to spend too much on one hitter. At higher caps 1927 seems to get the most play but I think that reflects a bias toward HomeRuns and not the best overall value in that price range. If money doesn't matter then I agree with 1923.I've only used Gehrig a few times and he's been a mild disappointment.
Its not just about budgeting 1/5 your payroll on a single player.  Great player years will never be a bargain in an $80M league because of the pricing system WIS uses.  All other things (i.e. position and defense) being equal, WIS prices players according to Bill James' run created formula which is a curved function.  The better the player, the more you will pay for unit of performance.

7/8/2013 3:43 AM
so because of that curve - diminishing returns - you're saying that a team of 8 hitters each of whom is worth 8 million should be better/better value than a team of two 16 million hitters and 6 guys at 5.333 Million (assuming the same fielding, PA, etc etc)??
7/8/2013 6:04 PM
Posted by mamxet on 7/8/2013 6:04:00 PM (view original):
so because of that curve - diminishing returns - you're saying that a team of 8 hitters each of whom is worth 8 million should be better/better value than a team of two 16 million hitters and 6 guys at 5.333 Million (assuming the same fielding, PA, etc etc)??
Yes I believe this is basicaly true.  However, there are a lot of caveats: PA are not randomly distributed throughout your line-up, as you go down the line-up players will get fewer PAs so having a slightly top-heavy line-up is justifiable.  Perfromace will also vary by the batter's handedness, specific hit distribution, year etc.  (In other words, it is really hard to keep "all things equal."   
7/8/2013 11:28 PM
Ive had the best luck with 1920 Ruth. Ive tried that 1923 Ruth for that .393 but I never get the results I want. 1927 Gehrig seems to be the one most people use.
7/9/2013 1:21 AM
None of the Gehrigs hit well. I like 27 for the defense, or if the cap is tight, one of the lower PA, lower defense versions. I hate paying for 770 PAs of Gehrig if money is tight.
7/10/2013 3:31 PM
I like '20 and '21 Ruth, those guys will really hit it out for you.
7/10/2013 5:39 PM
gehrig 27 and ruth 21
7/23/2013 1:06 AM
Ruth @ 1921 & Gehrig @ 1927.  I love to play $255 @ Coors Field.   Also if you find a league where everyone plays at Coors, you will see some fantastic hitting, HR's, & RBI's.  Lot's of fun !
7/24/2013 1:08 PM
which seasons of Ruth and Gehrig Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.