Horrible stats, not sure why. Topic

Drafted Arthur Rhodes '10

Here are his numbers so far: 

22 IP  7.94 ERA .284 OAV  1.37 WHIP

He's been awful, especially as of late. I have him set for TPC 10 MPC 15 (It has also been 5 and 10 as well)

Why is he pitching so god awful? Any insight would be great.
7/9/2013 6:46 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
He has not pitched badly at all - I just looked up his game log for the season - he has pitched 22 IP (small sample size as boogerlips states, but for a RP that might only go 40 or 50 it is legit to ask) in 32 games. 

He has given up 20 ER all told, but 10 of those have been in his last 4 pitching appearances, totaling 0.2 IP. That is why his ERA is so high, those 4 appearances. Not sure why he has suddenly take to giving up so many runs but perhaps those 4 opposing teams had better hitters than the ones he had faced previously. It does not appear to be pitch count, given the low IP total in those games, and he is listed as having been at 100% for each. 

So it is just a slump. Before that he had pitched in 21.1 IP with 10 runs given up, not great, but not horrible. 
7/10/2013 4:29 AM
Right. Okay, thanks guys.

I've found that if you can catch a slump (and every player has them) before it's too bad, you can stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, he slumped while 2-3 of my other relievers did as well.

Anyway, thanks again.
7/11/2013 2:10 PM
Well, just to update how awful Rhodes is doing.

Current stats:

29 IP (small, but not for a guy that only got 55)
8.07 ERA
1.45 WHIP
.289 OAV

Not sure why. Still....
7/15/2013 12:58 PM
29 IP (small, but not for a guy that only got 55)

Small is small.  If you start 1908 Addie Joss in a game and he gets shelled, you might figure that's no big deal because he's got 342 RL innings.  If you start Bob Milacki and he gets shelled, do you think it's more significant because he had only 26 RL innings?   It's not as if pitchers with fewer innings are immune to over- or under-performing over a small sample size.
7/15/2013 1:05 PM
Ok, no need to a$$holes about it.

I was just wondering if there was something about his particular stats that may explain this. I never proclaimed that this site sucked or that this was stupid.

Was just being curious about having an open discussion. Thanks for justifying your childish name boogerlips.

Appreciate the insight everyone else...

7/16/2013 6:23 PM
I'm very good at justifying things, and you are very welcome for the time I generously donated to your question. Normally I'd charge money for that kind of wisdom.
7/16/2013 8:28 PM
His last 10 games are 1.03/.194/4.66. SSS jumps out at us when a player is bad at the start of the season. He's actually done pretty well considering the park.
7/27/2013 11:55 PM
Horrible stats, not sure why. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.