Question on practice minutes Topic

So I'm just interested in how other coaches handle their practice minutes when a recruit drops from blue to black in certain categories.

Example is you have a guard who goes from blue in perimeter to black, but he is still blue in other areas like rebounding and LP. Do you shift the minutes over to the blue categories to get the maximum potential from the recruit, or do you try to maximize the core category and finish it to red before shifting the minutes to other blue areas?
7/12/2013 8:21 PM
I give priority to blue potential core areas.

As they shift to black, I may move some minutes to blue noncore depending on the overall context of the players skills and potential

BUT keep in mind the goal is not to have the highest total points- but rather the most useful players
7/12/2013 9:39 PM
IMO you have to look at each player on a case by case basis, theres no real blanket statement answer.  Each player I recruit I have a specific plan and future role for, and I adjust their practice minutes accordingly.  If I have a true PG turn black in passing or BH, but they are still blue in PER, I'll probably keep the points in PASS/BH and not make any adjustments until they turn red.
7/12/2013 9:40 PM
I just got thinking about my approach, because I had a senior guard who still had blue in the LP in a season where he went up 15 points. He was a 684 rated player in DIII and still had some room for growth in perimeter which I had 20 practice minutes in all 4 years. Everything else except rebounding was maxed out. It just made me feel like I left something on the table that he could have been much better had I worked on his LP more. This is a guy who went up 61 points total in his SR year. Really wish I could have gotten him a redshirt.

www.wisjournal.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx
7/12/2013 10:18 PM (edited)
Posted by poncho2799 on 7/12/2013 10:18:00 PM (view original):
I just got thinking about my approach, because I had a senior guard who still had blue in the LP in a season where he went up 15 points. He was a 684 rated player in DIII and still had some room for growth in perimeter which I had 20 practice minutes in all 4 years. Everything else except rebounding was maxed out. It just made me feel like I left something on the table that he could have been much better had I worked on his LP more. This is a guy who went up 61 points total in his SR year. Really wish I could have gotten him a redshirt.

www.wisjournal.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx
Pretty sick D3 guy, he could have started on a lot of my D2 teams.  Did he become a noticeably better scorer at 38 LP compared to 23?  I would have let him bomb away from deep his SR season, but that's just me.
7/12/2013 11:28 PM
His 3 shooting was a bit lower because it also had a lot of improvement. He went up 17 points in perimeter. I think when he started the season in the low 70's I had him at a 0 and eventually moved him to +1, but he was also able to draw a lot of fouls, so it wasn't a total loss having him stay inside more.

I couldn't really tell if the LP had any serious effect because of the growth he also had in perimeter and he took a lot more shots this season than the previous, but I'd like to think it helped. I would say look at his FG%, but that decreased after he increased his number of 3pt attempts.

He was still blue in LP though and I have to wonder how high it would have gotten.
7/13/2013 12:52 AM
Question on practice minutes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.