SS Def vs bad hitting Topic

Trying to decide what I should do with my SS.  He has 4 years in the majors now and his defensive cats are

range - 88
glove - 83
strength - 91
arm acc - 82

over the course of his 4 seasons he has 49 plus plays at SS and 0  - plays with a .963 fielding percentage.

I play in dodger stadium so granted it's not the best hitters park but he's a career .235 hitter with a .640 OPS and 119 SBs

I'm curious how do you guys account for his defensive stats to see if his d is worth the loss in productions im getting at the position from a batting perspective.

I have another "SS" on my roster that's much better from behind the plate as a career .265 hitter with an .872 OPS but in 455 career games at SS he has 0 plus plays and 35 - plays with a .959 fielding percentage ( in 881 games at 3rd he has 84 plus plays and a .973 fielding percentage)

I could shift the better hitter to SS and then bring another good bat to play 3rd and dump my defensive SS or is his improved fielding worth giving up that pop and how do you measure that?

Thanks for the assistance.
7/16/2013 4:37 PM
Bumped a thread for you.
7/16/2013 4:50 PM

I am a major proponent of playing a defensive wizard at SS even he lacks a bat (esp if you have no other holes in your lineup). That said, your player is not all that great of a defender. He has a high number of + plays because of his solid range but he commits fair amount of errors because of a less than stellar glove and arm accuracy. If you are going to play a D only SS, I would find a better defender. Under NO circumstances would I play the other guy at SS, he'll kill you plus he sounds like a valuable 3B, don't waste that.

Summary: Find yourself a better SS. If you can swallow the .235 BA make sure its for a guy thats at least 85 in all defensive categories. 

7/16/2013 4:53 PM
I would look for another ss option.
7/17/2013 12:28 PM
Posted by texashick on 7/16/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):

I am a major proponent of playing a defensive wizard at SS even he lacks a bat (esp if you have no other holes in your lineup). That said, your player is not all that great of a defender. He has a high number of + plays because of his solid range but he commits fair amount of errors because of a less than stellar glove and arm accuracy. If you are going to play a D only SS, I would find a better defender. Under NO circumstances would I play the other guy at SS, he'll kill you plus he sounds like a valuable 3B, don't waste that.

Summary: Find yourself a better SS. If you can swallow the .235 BA make sure its for a guy thats at least 85 in all defensive categories. 

Even higher. 85/85/85/85 ain't going to cut it for your typical high .500s OPS defensive shortstop.
7/17/2013 12:53 PM
eg
 Harley Bennett
Not cutting it. And I punch myself in the face each off season that I come up empty in finding a better replacement.
7/17/2013 12:56 PM
Bennett's problem isn't his glove. 

Get him glasses.

7/18/2013 10:23 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Im actually surprised Bennett is hitting that "well" in Witchita
7/18/2013 10:32 AM
Posted by rangerup on 7/18/2013 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 7/17/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
eg
 Harley Bennett
Not cutting it. And I punch myself in the face each off season that I come up empty in finding a better replacement.
That guy's eye alone says a lot about you as an owner if you are playing him in the bigs.
Fascinating feedback. Keep up the dumbass work.
7/18/2013 11:34 AM
A defensive shortstop with 90s across the board can be the key in helping an average pitching staff become above average.  That can be the difference between 85 and 90 wins.
7/18/2013 11:49 AM
Bennett may have a non-existant batting eye, but at least he's got the "True Four-Seam Fastballer" thing going for him.
7/18/2013 11:52 AM
I want him hacking at everything on the offhand chance he connects and it misses opposition gloves.
7/18/2013 1:07 PM
SS Def vs bad hitting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.