I'm in D3, tried to pull down a D2, BUT.... Topic

Okay, so as a D3 coach in Year 1, I went after a kid at the bottom of my D2 listings. Love him, but he started considering a human in D2, so I gave up.

Then, after a couple of cycles comes this:
"I'm not sure if you're still interested, but I'm definitely all ears. Give me a ring on my mobile - I'd like to talk about next season."

Does this mean he's truly interested in considering me? Should I risk some fairly limited money and pursue?
7/19/2013 2:27 PM
That just means he's recruitable directly now - you don't have to pull him down.  It doesn't mean he's especially interested in your school.  If you're willing to battle a D2 school for him, go ahead.  If not, don't.
7/19/2013 2:41 PM
If the D2 coach has more players on his considering list than he has available spots, you might have a chance.   But, for example, if he has 5 slots and is only considering 3 players, you won't have the money to battle him
7/19/2013 3:10 PM
yeah - all this means specifically is that he will start accepting your home visits and campus visits. It's still not the best move as a D3 school to ever battle a D2, unless you know you have some sort of advantage. 
7/19/2013 4:09 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that.  I mean obviously you have to be careful since on average that D2 school has 67% more cash per scholarship, but I've battled D2 schools a number of times and with a great deal of success with my D3 programs.  Obviously you need some kind of advantage - either distance, number of scholarships, or both - but I'll also occasionally do it if it looks like a player who might be a low priority for the D2 school.  Or if they're already battling for someone else.  Or if I think I can flood the guy right before signings or in the middle of the night and try to steal before they have a chance to retaliate.  Long story short, yes you have to be cautious, but D2 vs. D3 the prestige difference is small, the money difference is significant but not overwhelming, and I think most D3 coaches are FAR too nervous about battling D2s.
7/19/2013 4:38 PM
I'm in D3, tried to pull down a D2, BUT.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.