How to obtain a released player ? other than WW Topic

I see the WW has some ML pitchers released from another team.   some good stamina in there for A level clubs.   I prefer not to use up any waiver claims on the fodder...   and so....   where will these guys go after clearing waivers?   transaction status says released - I want to fill in my ML teams at no cost to own team.
7/20/2013 2:18 AM
Assuming they clear waivers, they end up in the FA pool.

You would still have to pay a pro-rated portion of $327k for the remainder of the season.  And if they have future seasons remaining on their contracts, you'd be paying $327k for each of those seasons as well.

It's generally a horribly bad idea for an owner to release players with ML contracts.
7/20/2013 7:13 AM
Hard to imagine you using up all your WW claims for a season so don't be that concerned about it.  However if you think at some point these players will cost you nothing you'd be mistaken.  If they have ML contracts you'll pay more than a MiL contract.  Also before signing ML players to fill your MiL rosters you better make sure they have options left or you'll need to try to pass them through waivers to be allowed to assign them to a MiL team
7/20/2013 1:46 PM
IMO, waiver claims are for the fodder. You can fill your minors rather cheap by grabbing prorated released minor leaguers. Saves some salary, but more importantly, you're not using prospect $$$ on the players that would fill out a healthy minor league roster.
7/20/2013 10:55 PM
How to obtain a released player ? other than WW Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.