DDL"the 70's" Team Rosters Topic

Atlantic
dskantor - David Thompson, Zelmo Beatty, Sam Lacey, Steve Mix, Connie Hawkins

eleibowitz - Artis Gilmore, Swen Nater, Norm Van Lier, Lou Hudson, Campy Russell, Junior Bridgeman
husker75 - Elvin Hayes, Bob Love, Pete Maravich, Jack Sikma, Melchionni, Julius Keyes
cmcafeeky - Bob Lanier, Clifford Ray, Adrian Dantley, John Lucas, Larry Kenon
tanguma44 - Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis, Kermit Washington, Slick Watts, Mickey Johnson
shawbigred - Nate Thurmond, ML Carr, Archie Clark, Truck Robinson, Ron Boone, Larry Jones

Central
98average - Nate Archibald, Don Buse, Rich Kelley, Marvin Webster, Terry Tyler, Lonny Shelton
natenoy - Rick Barry, Wes Unseld, Michael Ray Richardson, Freddie Brown, Charlie Edge

appleseed1 - Marques Johnson, Bobby Jones, Tree Rollins, Bob Gross, Jim McDaniels
seapilots - Moses Malone, Norm Nixon, Sidney Wicks, Mike Riordan, Jim McMillian, Clyde Lee
carbonjones - Jerry Lucas, Larry Bird, Jimmy Jones, Louie Dampier, Alex English

smokey57 - Dave Cowens, Willie Wise, Alvin Adams, Curtis Perry, Quinn Buckner, Dave Bing

Midwest
rubnsly - Jerry West, Marvin Barnes, Jamal Wilkes, Garfield Heard, James McLeroy
coachcroft - Walt Frazier, Paul Westphal, Gus Johnson, Dave Robisch, Dave DeBusschere

kdforester - Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Dave Twardzik, Billy Knight, Goose Ligon
thomcat - Dan Issel, Walt Bellamy, Lenny Wilkins, John Drew, Ralph Simpson, George T Johnson
skypilot - Bill Walton, Dan Roundfield, Gus Williams, Maurice Lucas, Phil Smith, Ray Williams
steelers821 - Wilt Chamberlain, Rudy Tomjanvoich, Calvin Murphy, Bill Bridges, Bernard King, Cincy Powell

Pacific
longtallbrad - Mel Daniels, Tom Boerwinkle, Walter Davis, Bob Kauffman, James Silas
jhsukow - Julius Erving, Billy Paultz, Elmore Smith, Maurice Cheeks, Allen Leavell, Happy Hairston
amerk1080 - Bob McAdoo, Cedric Maxwell, Caldwell Jones, Phil Chenier, Foots Walker, World B Free
alecmcafee - Paul Silas, George Gervin, Bob Dandridge, Tom Henderson, Brian Taylor
dh555 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kevin Porter, Mike Green, Johnny Green, Jim Cleamons, Mark Landsberger
bernardo/tanguma44 - John Havlicek, Robert Parish, Spencer Haywood, Mike Lewis, Lloyd Neal, Zaid Abul-Aziz
7/27/2013 11:14 AM (edited)
Not sure why Rick Barry has an e in his name, I know that's a carryover mistake, but I spelled it correctly when I put in my proxy.
7/21/2013 7:38 AM
Updated
7/22/2013 6:35 AM

Team: "Basketball Jones"
Dave Cowens '75-76'(C)(1st/12th), I think the big men are the key to the 70's DDL and I like Dave @ the 5. Dave's #s - 20.1use, def90, 98/271 rbs%, 117 ast%, 48.0FG% & 75.6FT%. PER=18.9 & W/S=10.7. This is a solid center in any era.
Willie Wise '73-74' (SF) (2nd/36th), excellent player for the 3 spot, he plays SG/SF/PF and I can't say enough about having a 3 position player in the middle, a coach's dream. Willie's #s - 23.9use, def80, 54/133 rbs%, 104 ast%, 49.4FG% & 79.0FT%. PER=20.1 & W/S=10.5. Willie is a serious impact player @ the 3 and particularly useful given my team design goals.
Alvan Adams '75-76' (PF)(3rd/48th), what can I say? I just parked a player @ the 4 spot that pass's better that half the PG's in the league...damn, I'm just giddy! Alvan's #s - 25.6%use, def52, 84/196 rbs%, 197 ast%, 46.9FG% & 73.5FT%. PER=21.7 & W/S=7.2. Wow, if the guy was a def75 he would be too perfect wrt my design goals, that said he has serious def help (def90/80) on either side. I think Alvan will be a great addition to the squad.
Curtis Perry '74-75 (C/PF)(4th/60th), the player I wanted to pair with Mike Green @ the 4 spot. Curtis is the 3rd player in my 3 man front court. Curtis's #s - 17.2use, def64, 122/220 rbs%, 81 ast%, 49.2FG% & 71.2FT%. PER=17.1 & W/S=7.6. With Perry in place I have drafted my most powerful front court trio to date wrt my team design goals. I have 49.9 ast% on the floor in my front court and starting SF, a pretty good start on a targeted +75ast% on the floor for 48 minutes.
It's time to build a back court, here I want a good floor game with solid defense and some offensive ability. Because I have 49.9ast% in my front and mid court I don't need ast monsters, +175ast% will be fine.
Quinn Buckner '77-78' (PG) (5th/72nd) Buckner is a good pick @ PG for this squad, his def80 is key, the 231ast% isn't bad for this decade. PER=14.2 & W/S=3.2. 
Dave Bing '70-71' (SG) (6th/84th) Bombs away from the back court! Bing's 29.4% usage & 28ppg @ 49eFG% brings a solid offensive threat in the back court. Dave is a PF magnet @ 615/772 for 79.7%FT.  PER=22.5 & W/S=11.7. This guy is an impact player.
Larry Brown '70-71' (PG) (7th/108th) Larry's 299ast% will work well with Bings 294 usage%. PER=12.6 & W/S=5.0. 
Willis Reed '70-71'(C/PF) (8th/133rd) Well, I think that's all the game I can pack in the paint. PER=19.3 & W/S=10.6. Thx for the $6.9M 'Big Man" in the 8th round.
Ted McClain '73-74 (SG) (9th/?) Ted is the player I was going to take in the 8th round to backup Bing. PER=16.5 & W/S=7.0
John Brisker '71-72' (SF/SG) (10th/?) John is instant offense at the 3 spot or the 2. PER=19.9 & W/S=3.1.  Brisker is a most welcome addition.
Wil Jones '74-75' (PF/SF) (11th) just in case...
Walt Simon '72-73 (SF/SG) (12th) ditto...
Discussion - Basic team design goal - load as much game in the paint as possible. Defense and assist are a premium. FG% is alittle on the low side, enough ast to bump your FG% is critical. The miss rate in the 70's is much higher than in the 80's, therefore a strong d-reb% is key also, particularly in the paint. The big men are going to the strip a ton in the 70's, good FT% in your front court  will make a big differece. In the 70's you need to win with your front court. I have put a +80def player in the paint, midcourt and on the perimeter. The Bing/Brown/Buckner back court puts the team at 118ast% and gives the team a solid offense on the perimeter. After 7 picks I have 18,761 min's and 96fga/g, I need about a 1,000 min's to have the full 48 at all 5 spots. One critical pick left and then it's time to look for options.
 (to be continued)

8/5/2013 5:40 AM (edited)
Updated through round 4
7/24/2013 5:19 AM
i have george t johnson not thomcat you game me cincy powell not sure who has him. 
7/28/2013 9:09 PM
seapilots has Powell.
8/2/2013 7:37 AM
DDL"the 70's" Team Rosters Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.