Advice on New Theme League Topic

Working to get some interest in my new theme league.

Salary cap is $130K.

Description:  Total sum of Defence Ratings for the 18 players in the lineup must not exceed 1300 (i.e. 75 Average). No Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr allowed. No clones. Trades OK.  No PI, No ties, Max 5 Injuries.

Would welcome anyone looking to join, and would also welcome advice on how to drum up interest.
7/22/2013 10:14 PM
I like your theme idea, and will join.  It is a good, clean theme that is easy to comprehend, yet has a lot of design space to allow for different team lineups.

2 possible issues to consider would be these:

a) owners could decide to max their defence point spending on the defencemen (e.g. 6 d-men with ratings of 95, made possible by using 6 forwards with D ratings that average 55, or 12 forwards with D ratings that average 65).
This would probably result in a defensive minded league with lower scoring.

One way around that could be to state that the total max defence point spending for D-men is 450 (6 x 75) and the total d-point budget for forwards is 900 (12 x 75).
By separating the 2 positions, owners would not be able to stock up on the blueline.

b) make the language around the 3 scrubs crystal clear, so owners don't think they can use the scrubs to bring overall d-point averages down.  One way to do this is to tell the owner who their scrubs must be, maybe pick 3 horrible players with huge PIM's, low shooting percentage, and a def of 5.  Players no one would play in a 130 mil league.

Or if you don't care about owners doing this, assume that owners will have 3 scrubs with d-ratings of 5 to buy more space for the rest of the team.  when you declare your D-rating budget, pick a number that accounts for this.

I like your theme, and hope it flies!
7/23/2013 11:59 AM (edited)
Thanks jsa. 

I actually made a mistake saying 75 average - I think it works out to more like 72.  Good point though regarding splitting the positions, but I think I'll leave it for now and see how it turns out.

As far as the scrubs, I tried to make that clear by specifying the "18 players in the lineup" are what count towards the total D rating.  As people join I'll make sure they understand this, and I'll try and clarify it in future posts.

7/23/2013 8:12 PM
Advice......ask chuck
8/7/2013 8:45 PM
Advice on New Theme League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.