Triangle vs. press Topic

What's the best approach?  I've got great ratings for my offense but I really struggle against the press.  Any suggestions on how to beat the press?

whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx
7/25/2013 2:24 PM
You need better BH/P, for starters.  You have a couple of guys who are good in one but not the other, and nobody particularly good in both.
7/25/2013 3:14 PM
Dump it in the post.  It's relatively easy to get press teams in foul trouble.
7/26/2013 7:56 AM
Good tips fellas.  What exactly does Fast Tempo do?  Pass the ball less and shoot quicker?
7/26/2013 10:45 AM
Yes.   What it does is create more opportunities to score and more chances to cause turnovers on defense.   It also tires your players out more and may cause worse percentage shots.   Generally speaking up tempo is a good choice if:

You have the better team (reduces the effect of variances in random #'s)
Have a significant stamina/player advantage (good against the 8 player rotation teams)
You press really well (cause turnovers and easy baskets)
Are playing a team with only one scorer (you can try to get him in foul trouble by loading up his defensive mathchups distro)
7/26/2013 10:53 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 7/25/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
You need better BH/P, for starters.  You have a couple of guys who are good in one but not the other, and nobody particularly good in both.
This.  My first reaction looking at the team is Spd is a little light, particularly in the guards, and BH/Pass is just ok.  Both of those will tend to hurt you against a Press, even though it's a solid team overall.

7/26/2013 11:00 AM
I play slowdown vs the press with that team.   I would start touchstone, gorenberg and lloyd and hope they play 28+ minutes each.

I think that team is good.
7/26/2013 11:13 AM
Ok ... how about staggering my depth chart a bit?  For example, it is my understanding that in a Triangle it only requires 3 scorers at a time.  Would you suggest I stagger my depth so that I've always got two studs on defense and three very good scorers?  Instead of 5 very good scorers at a time?  

Trenton ... do you like to play target minutes or fatigue?
7/26/2013 12:06 PM
Would you suggest I stagger my depth so that I've always got two studs on defense and three very good scorers?  Instead of 5 very good scorers at a time?
I would definitely suggest that with Triangle.  That's a good idea in general for most situations.
7/26/2013 12:49 PM
Posted by jbeninte on 7/26/2013 3:48:00 AM (view original):
Fast Tempo, shorten your bench if you can to keep your best players on the court, and go after their weakest Defensive players they have ( if you cannot find a weak d man to manipulate look at the subs that may come on to exploit) Fast Tempo allows for their starters to have a greater chance to get into foul trouble. Shortening your bench makes sure you have best scorers in when they go to their reserves. Go after the weak defenders. I try to key on at least two if I can.
I may be alone, but I think this is terrible advice.  Go uptempo and shorten your bench?  You're just asking for trouble.  Also, going after particular weak defenders is not a reliable strategy against the press.
7/26/2013 6:43 PM
Do NOT go uptempo with a short bench vs the press. Certainly not with those ball handlers. My guards on my D3 team can take care of the ball better. Recruit ball handlers and passers, even at the 4 and 5 spots when you can. Especially in the triangle where passing is a key attribute. 

Until then, and even in a lot of cases, I'd still use slow-down against the press. It neutralizes the strengths of the team, especially if they run 11-12 deep. 
7/27/2013 9:25 AM
Let me clarify the short bench....its a poor choice of words...by short bench I mean change your fatigue levels to keep your best players on the court for whatever amount of time to maximize their contributions. I personally run Triangle with a 2-3 or 3-2 zone. As stated above would not run uptempo with a short bench, unless you are using a zone on D and have great stamina players, 80 and above. Due to the less fatigue level in the Zone I can push my starters a little longer than teams with other defenses.  Like everything in this game there no one true correct way do something it all depends on multiple factors. To each there own.
7/29/2013 3:47 AM
fastbreak offense..just tempo matter?
7/29/2013 5:29 AM
Triangle vs. press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.