Messages I'd love to turn off Topic

I know it's not that tough to just delete the message or ignore it, but I'm lazy -- when I log in to one of my teams, I feel compelled to check the "msgs" message in case something needs to be taken care of.  I prefer to only see those things that are important and the best way to do that is to give the coach a bigger measure of control over when certain messages display.

Too often, the message is from an assistant telling me that the SG who's been maxed out since the end of last season doesn't need more practice on PER, BH, FT, etc.  I know that already - the guy hit his max long ago.  Shut the hell up.  I'm not changing his practice minutes.

Or else it's a recruit I was watching who is still taking his SATs after I'm done with recruiting.  This matters quite a bit to my D2 team, but not once signings are over.  And it doesn't matter at all to my D3 team.  I think I can turn those off by "removing" the player from my watch list (though I'm not 100% sure on that).  If I want to keep him on the list for next year when he doesn't sign, then I just have to put up with the messages whenever he takes another SAT.  It feels like spam.

The ideal solution in my mind would be the ability to turn off messages involving individual players - maybe a check box on their Recruiting panel that turns eligibility messages on/off.  It sure would cut down the spam for busy coaches.  After all, we get paid the big bucks for things other than babysitting maxed out players or kids who can't get the requisite score on a test.

7/26/2013 11:28 AM
You realize a player could go from maxed to non maxed over the summer right?
7/26/2013 12:05 PM
Yep (although unlikely with a WE of 73).  Even in that case, once is enough.  I don't need repeated messages all season about how my SG has maxed everything. 
7/26/2013 12:13 PM
When you get the first maxed out message, what do you do with the minutes?  If they're too many, you'll keep getting messages.
7/26/2013 12:52 PM
Just put those practice mintues at 7...should get rid of those emails
7/26/2013 12:58 PM
There is also a difference between "low potential" (when the number goes red) and "maxed out." At low potential you could still get improvement, so you might still want practice minutes there. When you receive the "maxed out" message, you can take the practice minutes in that category to zero.
7/26/2013 1:01 PM
I hate those SAT messages from recruits during the season.
7/26/2013 1:09 PM
Posted by teamkf on 7/26/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
When you get the first maxed out message, what do you do with the minutes?  If they're too many, you'll keep getting messages.
I adjust them to about 6 or so, but once a player (like my SG) has maxed everything out I usually just distribute practice time and give between 6 and 10 to every category.

I still get messages when something's set to 10, even though there's nowhere else to spend them.  I suppose I could dump some into study hall but I'm one of those coaches who doesn't care if my kids are summa cum laude.  I just want them to be effective basketball players.

7/26/2013 1:23 PM
I give all my walk ons 90 study hall minutes just to avoid those messages. My least favorite thing about messages is when you schedule a non conference game and your AD tells you the date isn't finalized EVERY SINGLE TIME when you know damn well that it is very much finalized. Drives me nuts lol
7/26/2013 2:28 PM
I hate the one at the start of the year about recruiting... NO I DON'T WANT TO FIND THE NEXT LEBRON JAMES OKAY.
7/26/2013 2:56 PM
And how many times can my Assistant Coach watch Animal House anyway?  Expand your horizons - throw in Caddyshack or Fletch once in a while.
7/26/2013 3:14 PM
WIS could improve the messages by running a contest in which players are invited to submit new text for various messages.  I think we could collectively come up with a bunch of alternative, funny and fresh recruiting and other messages.

"You want me to red shirt?  You mean we are changing the color of the uniforms after all these years.  No, you mean you want me to sit out?  You what?"
7/26/2013 4:42 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 7/26/2013 4:42:00 PM (view original):
WIS could improve the messages by running a contest in which players are invited to submit new text for various messages.  I think we could collectively come up with a bunch of alternative, funny and fresh recruiting and other messages.

"You want me to red shirt?  You mean we are changing the color of the uniforms after all these years.  No, you mean you want me to sit out?  You what?"
i would love it if they let us submit some of those
7/26/2013 5:31 PM
Posted by ethan66 on 7/26/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by teamkf on 7/26/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
I adjust them to about 6 or so, but once a player (like my SG) has maxed everything out I usually just distribute practice time and give between 6 and 10 to every category.

I still get messages when something's set to 10, even though there's nowhere else to spend them.  I suppose I could dump some into study hall but I'm one of those coaches who doesn't care if my kids are summa cum laude.  I just want them to be effective basketball players.

once you get the email there may be a smidge of improvement left, but not enough to matter. Once they are maxed in a category there is no reason to keep minutes there. Yes, occasionally a player will drop 1 point in something if you go to 0 - if that happens, put some minutes back in, or deal with the inconsequential 1 point drop. If you want to avoid repeat emails, take the minutes from that category and put them in study hall. Its not about making them cum laude its about not needing the minutes elsewhere and, apparently, being annoyed by emails. 

I go to 0 when I get the email. When I have gotten emails on everything, all the minutes go the study hall. I'm still fine with folks who don't since they are maybe less likely to max out there players and I'll take any advantage I can get, especially when I've been generous with advice on the subject...
7/26/2013 9:46 PM
Messages I'd love to turn off Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.