Posted by masterdebate on 8/2/2013 2:51:00 AM (view original):
Taking this in order:
1. Feel free to cut as many guys as you like. Cut all ten if you so desire. It won't hurt my feelings. Really.
2. There will be a draft before the league starts to fill up rosters.
3. A big part of pre constructed rosters was randomness. That you would have no idea who you are starting with on your team. Just like you have no idea who your two mandatory free agents will be each season. A full draft doesn't seem to fit the "random" idea. Trust me, it would have been far simpler to institute a full draft, but I had fun assembling these rosters.
4. I read a number of forums regarding team construction, and like MLB, there seems to be a lot of the same guys being used on every team in open leagues. Obviously being a progressive, more players have to be used, I did the best I could with the resources at my disposal to create rosters. (See above for reasoning.)
5. For obvious reasons I didn't have time to check the usage pct of every single player's every single season. I did my best to represent star players from 60 plus years of basketball history. If, for example, AI isn't good, feel free to cut him and replace him with someone else.
6. The primary purpose of this league is to have fun with all the randomness. If you like a massively controlled franchise where you know how all the nuts and bolts are going to work each year, this league probably isn't for you. That said, the MLB version is starting season 22. About half of us have been in it from the beginning.
The problem I don't think you realize is a lack of equity in the teams. If you look at the teams logain and shawbigred and the OMG squad you gave all3, you will see teams that are fairly loaded. When you compare that to my team I see a team (and I understand it is random and I signed up for it) I got a team that doesn't have a fart of a chance of contending for a playoff spot, let alone a championship. My team is easily one of the worst. I am LOADED with what is called SIM POISON. I have one real point guard and no one in their right mind would ever play him because he is an awful shooter with too much usage. Let's look at my team with some notes:
Sidney Moncrief - Good a top 125 player
Drazen Petrovic - Only Scores
Dominique Wilkins - Borderline Poison - scores a lot, but takes too many shots to do it, rebounds ok but not well enough.
Tim Duncan - Only elite player here
Dan Issel - Borderline Poison
Baron Davis - SIM POISON
World B. Free - Borderline Poison
Dan Majerle - Decent if you get lucky enough to use the couple of ok seasons he has
Blake Griffin- Fouls too much, can't hit FT's, can't guard a brown paper bag...scoring and rebounding are pretty good
Tree Rollins - Good couple of seasons, but at that he is a foul monster
We had a league over a year ago that blacklisted 250 top players, and three of my players would have been banned in that league, all the others are available.
So here is my issue...where am I going to get to draft? If my team, which is one of the worst, gets put in random.org and I am drafting toward the back of the draft I am going to be ****** after getting this pile of crap. I am trying to figure out how Magic, Pierce, Wade, Mourning, and Boozer get on one squad together then KJ, Jordan, Durant, and Ming get on another then you see Bird, Grant, Manu, and Reed and there is the ULTIMATE COUP DE GRACE F'n Wilt with rebounding MONSTER Ben Wallace plus Nance, Reggie Miller, and Mark Jackson...that team has 65 wins written all over it because that WILL be the starting lineup for that squad BTW three of those guys were drafted first round in our ongoing 52 mil draft league. My team only has three guys on it picked in that league TOTAL. I didn't even mention the LeBron, Jesus Shuttlesworth, Buck Williams, Lacey, Vince, and Iguodala squad. You put those elite players together, and I got a diamond, a couple of gold flecks, all in a giant pile of crap. I certainly deserve 2 or 3 picks in the top 15, and definitely one of those in the top 3.
I love the unknown, but give guys like me a chance in this league. I will join up with a dead squad, but I need to feel like I have a chance to compete. Right now the squad I have would lose at least 55 games, but likely into the deep 60's.
8/2/2013 8:53 AM (edited)