Just as a warning to all readers, this is primarily a whining post.  

But really, dear sweet God, how does a player with Harry Lima's ratings rack up four minus plays in limited time over two years?  All defensive ratings above average, arm strength and accuracy exceptional...
8/4/2013 12:35 PM
You're right, this is a whining post.

Do you expect your players to be perfect?  Is that reasonable?
8/4/2013 12:45 PM
Yes.  And yes, I'm pretty sure that's reasonable.  I'm pretty sure my imaginary HBD contracts read, "I, the above-named, do hereby agree to play my position to perfection," or something of the sort.  
8/4/2013 8:32 PM
Am I wrong or are + and - plays not related strongly to the Range rating?  86 Range would not put him in the elite category at SS.  His fielding percentage is excellent, that correlates more strongly to the glove and arm which are elite.

8/4/2013 8:47 PM
The coincidence of his attributes and those outcomes certainly suggests that you are right, damag.  That said, I always thought minus-plays were rare-to-nonexistent for SS's with ratings over 85.  Not surprisingly (to me at least), he racks up a lot of positive-plays; I just have a hard time believing that he's chalked up four minus-plays in less than a season's worth of innings because of a 86 range.   Am I nuts?
8/5/2013 12:08 AM
Has anyone else seen a SS with all four attributes above 85 accumulate so many negative plays so fast?
8/5/2013 12:09 AM
Its range...QQ
8/5/2013 12:20 PM
It's pretty standard knowledge that the RECS are a minimum suggestion.   I don't find it surprising that a player on the cusp of the minimum makes negative plays.

If a guy has the recommended average glove and arm accuracy would you expect him to go errorless?
8/5/2013 1:52 PM
The recommended range for SS is 80, not 85.  So Lima is 6 points above the rec, not 1.
8/5/2013 2:04 PM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 8/4/2013 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Just as a warning to all readers, this is primarily a whining post.  

But really, dear sweet God, how does a player with Harry Lima's ratings rack up four minus plays in limited time over two years?  All defensive ratings above average, arm strength and accuracy exceptional...
He averages a "-" every 319ish innings or every 35ish games. I would argue that is a little high for his range, but probably something that will average out (and already is as in his first season he averaged a "-" every 289ish innings) over the long run.
8/5/2013 3:15 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/5/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
It's pretty standard knowledge that the RECS are a minimum suggestion.   I don't find it surprising that a player on the cusp of the minimum makes negative plays.

If a guy has the recommended average glove and arm accuracy would you expect him to go errorless?
I thought the RECS were actually just the ML average, MikeT.  Even if my take is correct, the fact he is just a point above average makes his negative plays not at all surprising.
8/5/2013 5:00 PM
File this under "why doesn't my 99 power guy lead my team in homers/why doesn't my 99 contact guy lead my team in hits" etc etc. The definition of insanity is continuing to play him expecting a different result.
8/5/2013 5:24 PM
I have a very similar defensive player:
  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Carlton Hodges

With a bit more innings of work he has the same number of + plays and zero - plays, so yes to me it is surprising that he has the - plays. I almost exclusively use defensive SS with ratings similar to them and I have never seen more than 1 minus play in that amount of innings. Lima has definitely been a victim of the RNG.

To clarify the incorrect statements above, the "Big League Averages" for SS are 80/85/85/85, so these guys are +6 in Range. 

8/5/2013 7:27 PM
I missed something.  You said Lima had been a victim of the "RNG."  What is that?
8/7/2013 10:02 AM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 8/7/2013 10:02:00 AM (view original):
I missed something.  You said Lima had been a victim of the "RNG."  What is that?
Random Number Generator
8/7/2013 11:44 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.