Jeremy Gilreath 13 WE Topic

I plan on tracking the progress of a SO  JUCO I just signed with a 13 WE.

Jeremy Gilreath
| 6'8" | 236 lbs. | 2.0 GPA
Raritan Valley Community College | North Branch, NJ
C
Athleticism 50
Speed 18
Rebounding 70
Defense 50
Shot Blocking 59
Low-post 36
Perimeter 25
Ball Handling 32
Passing 12
Work Ethic 13
Stamina 71
Durability 74

8/5/2013 8:19 AM

Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 50 Average   Perimeter 25 Low
Speed 18 High   Ball Handling 32 Low
Rebounding 70 High   Passing 12 High
Defense 50 High   Stamina 71 Average
Shot Blocking 59 High   Durability 74 Low
Low-post 36 Average   FT Shooting High
8/5/2013 8:20 AM
Jeremy is gonna start this season and average around 20 minutes per game.

He'll get :

20 minutes of Practice in COND, REB, DEF,  (60)
1 minute in BH, PER, LP (3)
5 minutes in SH (5)
11 minutes in PASS and FT (22)

The hope is that Jeremy "grows" into a 4 with final scores that look something like this:

ATH: 60
SPEED:40
REB: 90
DEF: 75
SB: 85
LP: 40
PER:20
BH:30
PASS: 30
8/5/2013 8:26 AM
i dont think, with that work ethic, he will see that much improvement. if you take 5-10 off the high projections i think that is more reasonable to hope for. starting him the whole way will make a huge difference, but i dont think he will push most of those highs into low territory before he graduates. could be wrong though!
8/5/2013 12:12 PM
Why would you even bother with the 1 minute each in BH, PER, LP?  He'll probably still lose ground.  Seems like you might need to shift a few minutes over to SH to keep him eligible anyway.

I'd be tempted to zero out passing as well, just screw it for a C, and load up on the others regardless of diminishing returns.
8/5/2013 12:48 PM
I'd consider taking minutes out of passing. I just don't see him growing that much with only 11 minutes.
8/5/2013 12:53 PM
agreed - 12 passing is not worth building when he likely wont cap out reb & def
8/5/2013 2:01 PM
I'd agree with the above suggestions, and definitely think he'll need more than 5 min of SH; JUCO coming in with a 2.0 isn't good.
8/5/2013 2:48 PM
he needs time in Footwork too....

I also think you'll see snails growth.  I have taken lower WE guys than I used to though - have a nice player on my Limestone team (nice, not great) who started with 25 WE.  Starting him quite a bit has made him serviceable.

I would also go 0s on non-core skills.. if you want to move those 3 min to LP, I guess that might be reasonable to keep it from dropping.  Not sure he'll score anyway though.  Personally, since he probably won't score, I'd also consider limiting minutes in FT.

FWIW, I think he has potential to be a solid player at D3 as a def/rebounding type forward.  he may even chip in a few points on offense if his ATH creeps up some.

8/5/2013 3:00 PM (edited)
Jeremy and I had a sit down this morning, it was his first time on campus and he thinks NYU is just delightful.  He seems like the type of kid who might struggle academically with our rigorous demands, but I don't think he'll be the type of person who will give the Violets a bad name.  It is worth noting that Jeremy was 15 minutes late to our meeting. 

Our discussion was frank and he took it well, my assistant coach Fred Wells, played a significant part in the discussion.  We think, and Jeremy agreed, that in only 3 ears, Jeremy might not reach his full potential but, I'll be damned if we don't try.    We think by starting Jeremy from day 1, his internal motivation will increase, if it doesn't, Fred's gonna chew his *** out for 170 minutes every day.

We are staying with our original plan except we are switching time from FT to more time passing the ball.  While we don't see Jeremy putting the bisquit in the basket on a regular basis we are hoping he turns into a high post center that opens up shots for the rest of the team.   If Jeremy doesn't take to this quickly, we are going to scrap it and just bury his nose in rebounding, defense, and conditioning drills.

Fred and I just wanted to thank all the other coaches who shared their input.  We really are a fraternal brotherhood when we aren't in season.  We looked forward to helping others when the time arises.

Go Violets!
TrentonJoe, Two Time National Championship Game Loser 
8/6/2013 8:53 AM
Glad to be one of many coaches to contribute.  Sounds like you have a good plan.  Looks like he has already improved a few points 2 games in to the season.

Brianxavier, 4 time national championship runner-up (Millsaps).... and thank God for my self-esteem: 1 time completely unexpected National Champion (Cabrini).

I like to think I am inspired by Marv Levy of the Buffalo Bills.
8/8/2013 10:13 PM
Jeremy Gilreath
C | Sophomore | 6'8" | 236 lbs. | 2.2 gpa (2 HS gpa)
Cardinal Newman HS Columbia, SC | Recruited By: Trentonjoe
C
Athleticism 52

Speed 22

Rebounding 75

Defense 55

Shot Blocking 66

Low-post 34

Perimeter 25  
Ball Handling 31

Passing 17

Work Ethic 17

Stamina 74

Durability 74  
FT Shooting F  
8/23/2013 10:51 AM
After season 1....hoping he doesn't lose to much in the off season.
8/23/2013 10:56 AM
he wont lose much with 17 WE. 
8/23/2013 11:49 AM
TJ, wouldn't you rather have had those 5 passing points elsewhere?
8/23/2013 4:28 PM
12 Next ▸
Jeremy Gilreath 13 WE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.