Does $ / Effort influence Ineligibles? Topic

Hey guys!

Does anyone know if the amount of recruiting effort spent on an ineligible influences his decision to stay, or is it completely random and the $ only goes towards the following season?
8/7/2013 3:03 PM
have been told by WIS prior that effort ($) does have an effect on whether an ineligible shows up to campus.
8/7/2013 3:25 PM
Thanks!
8/7/2013 3:36 PM
agree with nams, that is what has been said - and that is consistent with my experience

BUT keep in mind that effort is not the only factor.  I think some kids are more ready to enroill than others....and I think it matters whether the kid is thrilled to be at your school.  If he is a 5 star and you have somehow got him to consider a B prestige school - say because no one else tries - the odds are slimmer than if he is a no star and you are an A prestige school.  I think.
8/7/2013 9:35 PM
One more question on ineligibles showing up or not - does your AD's signing message matter? When my ineligible signed, my AD said "I'd be surprised if he doesn't play JUCO ball next season." Is this truly telling me it's unlikely he shows up, or just the boilerplate language AD's use for ineligibles?
10/7/2013 8:41 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 10/7/2013 8:41:00 PM (view original):
One more question on ineligibles showing up or not - does your AD's signing message matter? When my ineligible signed, my AD said "I'd be surprised if he doesn't play JUCO ball next season." Is this truly telling me it's unlikely he shows up, or just the boilerplate language AD's use for ineligibles?
I think this is the response for every ineligible
10/7/2013 9:42 PM
no correlaton on the AD message.  Effort does affect his chances to show as well as how many ineligibles one is going after. 
10/7/2013 11:26 PM
A few seasons ago I signed the #5 Center for under 3k and he showed up on campus. I have also spent considerably more on lesser players that did not show up. I for one am not a believer that money spent is a big factor in whether an ineligible shows up on campus or not. I know what WIS has said but I think we can all agree there is plenty they have said that does not pass the eye test in the game.
10/8/2013 10:09 AM
From a D2 persepcective; the better a player is the more likely he is to go JUCO.  If a guy drops down, you have to spend a considerable amount to get him to show up normally, if you pull him down he normally shows up.
10/8/2013 11:28 AM
Posted by scottyj74 on 10/8/2013 10:09:00 AM (view original):
A few seasons ago I signed the #5 Center for under 3k and he showed up on campus. I have also spent considerably more on lesser players that did not show up. I for one am not a believer that money spent is a big factor in whether an ineligible shows up on campus or not. I know what WIS has said but I think we can all agree there is plenty they have said that does not pass the eye test in the game.
WiS has not said it is a "big" factor, just that it was a consideration. The ticket I have says "the more money spent the higher the chance that player will report, but there are no guarantees either way."

I've got no love for the pace of development or level of attention that admin is able to give us, but they haven't (to me at least) made any claim that $$ spent is a big factor. 
10/8/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 10/8/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
WiS has not said it is a "big" factor, just that it was a consideration. The ticket I have says "the more money spent the higher the chance that player will report, but there are no guarantees either way."

I've got no love for the pace of development or level of attention that admin is able to give us, but they haven't (to me at least) made any claim that $$ spent is a big factor. 
Simply saying that "the more money spent the higher the chance that player will report" implies that money is a big factor. They are saying that if you spend more you have a better chance of that player showing up on campus. I am saying in my experience that is not the case. As far as I am concerned its all luck of the draw.
10/8/2013 4:04 PM
Posted by scottyj74 on 10/8/2013 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 10/8/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):

Simply saying that "the more money spent the higher the chance that player will report" implies that money is a big factor. They are saying that if you spend more you have a better chance of that player showing up on campus. I am saying in my experience that is not the case. As far as I am concerned its all luck of the draw.
Ok. 

I'm sure that is your feeling, although your experience very likely doesn't contradict what CS is saying. There are enough other variables involved (with randomness likely a big (or at least much bigger than money) factor) that without some serious data crunching and precise logging of effort to determine scientifically what the impact might be that from casual (in the scientific sense) observation it might seem like a non-factor (and, ultimately, it may mathematically be close, although I don't think it is quite that insignificant).

I think there is a misconception, however. I don't agree that saying 'more money = a higher chance' implies anything. We all know the game is a computer program. To me, CS' statement implies that in the algorithm that is run to see if a player reports, overall recruiting effort applied (which is what we really mean when we keep saying money I believe) is part of the equation, therefore, more effort means a higher chance. CS never says (and in fact, sort of alludes the other way if anything) that money is a big part of the equation, just that it is, indeed, some part...

If you interpret their response differently, then I completely see the reasoning in your argument, but I think it is fundamentally flawed by that interpretation. 
10/9/2013 10:22 AM
Does $ / Effort influence Ineligibles? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.